CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, LOWER ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158642 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2019 at 15:23:05.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, LOWER ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Amber Valley (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 32023 37751
SK 33 NW; 6/85
PARISH OF MACKWORTH, LOWER ROAD (north side)
Church of All Saints
Parish Church. Early C14, late C14, C15. Restoration 1851. Coursed squared sandstone with sandstone dressings. Welsh slate roofs with stone coped gables. Aisle roofs hidden behind parapets. Moulded stone plinth. West steeple, aisled nave and south porch, chancel with north vestry.
West tower of two unequal stages divided by a chamfered string course. Angle buttresses with five set-offs, linked by pilaster strips to the battlemented parapet. The ground stage has only arrow slits and beneath the string course a cross-loop window to each face, possibly for defensive reasons. Lozenge clock face to south dated 1872. Bell stage has to all four sides tall 2-light bell openings with a transom and cusped ogee lights under a flat arch, set within a segment headed opening with moulded surround. Recessed stone spire with one tier of lucarnes. The south aisle has a 3-light west window with Perp style tracery. The south porch shares its west wall with that of the aisle. At the join is a buttress incorporating a stair turret. Porch is two storeyed and shallow gabled. To west and east a plain 2-light recessed and chamfered mullion window and a single light window above. Diagonal buttresses. Pointed arched doorway, double chamfered, Trellis pattern door. Sundial above with gnomon. South aisle has two 3-light windows under flat arches, with cusped ogee tracery, set in deep chamfered surrounds. Buttress between and diagonal buttress. 3-light east window with Perp tracery. The chancel has a C19 ballflower eaves cornice. Two bays divided by gableted buttresses, the east one with a crocketed pinnacle. Two 2-light Dec style windows, hoodmoulds with foliage stops. Priest's doorway with two wave mouldings and a frieze of ballflower. Hoodmould with headstops. All the details look C19 in their present form. 4-light east window with Dec tracery. Gableted and pinnacled angle buttresses. The north side has a lean-to vestry of 1851, with a chimney stack and a 2-light and a 3-light window with trefoil motifs. North aisle of three bays, divided by buttresses. Two 3-light windows as on the south side and in the west bay a plain single chamfered blocked doorway. Three small 2-light clerestory windows. North aisle west window of c1300, with Y-tracery. Five scratch dials on buttresses.
INTERIOR: Three-bay nave arcades, octagonal piers and abaci, and arches of two orders. Similar chancel arch, dying into the imposts. Doorway to tower with provisions for barring it. In the south aisle, a Dec tomb recess with moulded arch and a piscina at the east end. In the chancel, early C14 sedilia and piscina, re-cut in C19. In the north aisle at the east end are two C14 canopied niches for saints and on the north wall a broad double niche. Rich Dec style octagonal font of c1870 with nodding ogee arches around the bowl Monuments: Tomb chest to Edward Mundy, died 1607 (south aisle), alabaster effigy with children along the front of the chest. Gothic tablet to Richard French, died 1801, by Hall of Derby (north aisle). Also an C18 cartouche and two other tablets. Sumptuously decorated late Victorian chancel. Reredos of 1878, of Derbyshire alabaster and inlay of various stones. Abstract patterns and traceried gables either side of the east window, with floral motifs. Said to be a copy in part of a reredos in a church in Pavia. Alabaster standard candlesticks of 1902, either side of the altar. Angels on twisted columns. Communion rails of 1893, white alabaster with Blue John and other inlay. Copied from a balustrade in Rome. Rich tiled floor. Carved canopy over the vestry door, of 1886. Angel corbels supporting a richly carved marble and alabaster crocketed ogee arch, with flanking twisted colonnettes, surmounted by three winged angels. Wall tablets on the south side in marble and alabaster, to Father Noel Mundy and Emily Mundy, died 1903 and 1929 respectively. Paired circular tablets either side of a cross. C19 choir stalls. Pulpit, 1896, of Derbyshire alabaster and green Irish marble on a Dorset marble base. Lectern of 1903 by Charles Lomas of Derby. Carved from a single block of Chellaston alabaster, a vine climbing up the stem and ending in leaves and grapes below the bible support. Stained glass east window of 1851 with figures of saints, characteristic of its date.
Listing NGR: SK3202137751
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.