CRESSBROOK MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1158897

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1967

Statutory Address: CRESSBROOK MILL, UPPERDALE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CRESSBROOK MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158897 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 22:37:18.

Location

Statutory Address: CRESSBROOK MILL, UPPERDALE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)

Parish: Litton

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

National Grid Reference: SK 17299 72709

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 17 SE PARISH OF LITTON UPPERDALE LANE 3/66 (West Side) 12.7.67 Cressbrook Mill GV II*

Cotton mill, now disused. 1814-15 for William Newton. Rubble limestone, partly rendered, with gritstone dressings and quoins. Hipped Welsh slate roof with octagonal wooden cupola with ogee lead roof. Three storeys, plus basement, constructed of timber beams and cast iron supports. Spiral stone staircase in projecting bay to west. North elevation of twelve, plus two bays. The twelve bays symmetrical with the centre four advanced beneath a pediment. Three tiers of twelve windows, the top ones slightly smaller. Projecting stone lintels and sills. Some original glazing bar sashes and small paned fixed lights. Clock face in the pediment. Two bays set back to the right with four windows to the left, now blind, with iron Gothick glazing bars. These are probably the remains of the original mill of 1779 which stood at right angles. Three windows to the right, enlarged. Wheel pit to the north west. South elevation of eleven bays, four-four-three, the centre four bays advanced beneath a pediment. Three tiers of eleven windows as on the north side. Clock face in the pediment. The clock, which works the two faces from the same mechanism, and the cupola were added in 1837 to commemorate the Coronation of Queen Victoria. The cupola is octagonal with round-arches, with projecting keyblocks and impost blocks. Modillion cornice and ogee lead roof. The three bells are inscribed 'Thomas Mears of London Founder 1837'. Lower, C20, building with sawtooth roof, attached along south side and not of special interest. The mill closed down in 1965.

Listing NGR: SK1729972709

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 80978

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing