CHURCH OF ST LUKE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1158964
Date first listed:
29-Nov-1965
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUKE, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LUKE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158964 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 10:27:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUKE, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Amber Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Ripley
National Grid Reference:
SK 36965 50627

Details

SK 35 SE RIPLEY CHURCH STREET, Heage (west side)

3/70 Church of St Luke

29.11.65

II*

Church. 1646-61 re-using some earlier materials, with addition of 1826 plus 1933 addition and minor alterations. C17 part of coursed rubble stone with ashlar dressing and quoins, plus graduated stone slate roof with stone coped gables on plain kneelers, 1826 addition of coursed squared stone with ashlar dressing and plain tile roof with stone coped gables and octagonal stone bellcote to north gable end which has lancets to each side with hoodmoulds and stone roof with foliage finial. T-plan, low 3 bay C17 part with south porch running east-west with 1826 addition at right angles to west end. South gable wall of 1826 part has steps up to pointed flush doorcase with metal clock-face above. West wall has four large lancets with returned hoodmoulds and Y-tracery metal windows with glazing bars. North wall blank except for central buttress, square to base and octagonal over, which supports the bellcote. East elevation has similar window to western ones, to south side. C17 part has 3-light Perpendicular east window, three C17 2-light recessed and chamfered mullion windows to south side with gabled porch between western two, and similar window to north side with 1933 vestry added to west. Porch has double panelled door below plain lintel inscribed 'JW 1752' and to west is a stone with inset lead inscription 'G 1661 P'. Simple pointed arched inner door flanked by stone benches. Vestry has 2-light window and door to east also and 3- light flat headed window to north with semi-circular headed lights and hoodmould. Above in the gable is datestone inscribed 'JM 1933'. To west of vestry is another 2-light C17 style window and to east is a large buttress. Interior of earlier part has raised and fielded panelling to dado height, C19 scissor truss roof, and two trefoil headed painted commandment plaques to either side of altar. 1826 part has painted flat ceiling with moulded plaster cornice, C19 organ to north end and C12 circular font bowl on C19 octagonal stone stem. 1826 hatchment over south door. Plain C19 pews throughout. Two brass plaques on north wall of earlier part, one charity plaque of c1705 and one memorial to Joseph Statham, c1809.

Listing NGR: SK3696550627

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
79114
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/13428/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roy Millett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].