Wingate Grange Colliery Disaster Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1158986
Date first listed:
11-Oct-1985
Date of most recent amendment:
18-Jan-2021
Statutory Address:
Front Street West, Wingate, TS28 5AA

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1158986.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2021 at 08:03:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
Front Street West, Wingate, TS28 5AA

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Wingate
National Grid Reference:
NZ 39977 37098

Summary

Colliery disaster memorial, 1907 to designs of Douglas Crawford, sculpted by Borrowdale Brothers of Sunderland.

Reasons for Designation

The Wingate Grange Colliery Disaster Memorial, of 1907 is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Architectural interest:

* an attractive design in the form of an obelisk with intricate decorative detailing; * it displays good-quality materials and craftsmanship and creates a prominent landmark at the centre of the village.

Historic interest:

* it commemorates a major Durham coalfield mining disaster in 1906 in which 26 men died, and stands as a tangible expression of the hazards inherent in England's later-C19 and early-C20 coal mining industry.

Group value:

* it benefits from a spatial group value with the adjacent Grade II-listed Holy Trinity Church.

History

An explosion at the Lady Shaft at Wingate Grange Colliery occurred at about midnight on 14 October 1906 trapping all of the men working underground. Although 119 survivors were brought to the surface by rescuers, 26 men were killed. Many were killed by the noxious gas known as afterdamp and many by the force of the explosion itself. A subsequent inquiry found that the explosion was caused by the firing of a shot by one of the miners. The colliery disaster memorial funded by public subscription, was designed by local architect Douglas Crawford and erected by stonemasons Borrowdale Brothers at a total cost of £155. Proceeded by a procession headed by the banner and band of the Wingate Miners’ Lodge, the memorial was unveiled on 21 December 1907 by F W Lampton MP who said that ‘No-one would be able to pass it with indifference. It would bring to mind the dangers which beset a miner’s life’.

Details

Colliery disaster memorial, 1907 to designs of Douglas Crawford, sculpted by Borrowdale Brothers of Sunderland.

DESCRIPTION: the sandstone memorial stands about 4 metres high in the form of a faceted, tapering, sandstone obelisk. It stands upon a corniced base that is enriched with scroll brackets at its base. This surmounts a pedestal with squared corners framing convex panels to each face. The whole sits upon a moulded plinth and a two-stepped base. The partly-illegible front panel is inscribed: THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED/ BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION/ TO THE MEMORY OF THE/ TWENTY SIX MEN WHO LOST THEIR LIVES/IN THE EXPLOSION AT/ WINGATE GRANGE COLLIERY/ OCTOBER 14TH 1906. LET THEM REST FROM THEIR LABOURS. Inscribed on the east face of the pedestal is: BORROWDALE BROS./ SCULPTORS/ SUNDERLAND./ DOUGLAS CRAWFORD/ ARCHITECT. Inscribed on the other faces are the names of those who were killed in the disaster.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
109452
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Usherwood, P, Beach, J, Morris, C, Public Sculpture of North-East England, (2000), 278-9

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/08580/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].