CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159003.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2020 at 23:15:23.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MAIN STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Derbyshire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 24987 12944
SK 21 SW PARISH OF LULLINGTON MAIN STREET
4/22 (West Side)
19.1.67 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Late C14, spire rebuilt in 1776, nave and chancel heavily restored 1861-2 and south aisle added. Coursed squared stone with stone dressings, chamfered plinth and continuous moulded sill stringcourse. Steeply pitched plain tile roofs with diaper work and crested ridge tiles, also stone coped gables with ridge crosses to nave and chancel east gables, plus chamfered eaves band. Nave with south aisle, lower chancel and large western tower. Three stage tower has deep moulded plinth, and almost full height stepped buttresses to all corners, those to western corners angled and each with gablets to third stage and to the top. South-east corner has a slightly advanced staircase projection with slit windows up to the bell stage. First stage of tower is larger than upper two stages with chamfered band to top and a pointed C19 2-light geometric tracery window to west. Second stage has trefoil headed lancets to north and south sides, and bell stage has tall pointed cusped Y-tracery, louvred openings with returned hoodmoulds to all sides. Above there is a broached stone spire which has Y-traceried gableted lucarnes on four sides with moulded stringcourse over and four more gableted lucarnes with trefoil headed openings near top of spire on four different sides. North elevation of nave has three 2-light geometric tracery pointed windows. North vestry to east has a Caernarvon arched western door, a 2-light flat headed north window with trefoil headed lights and a similar east window with high relieving arch of alternating red and yellow stone over, plus angle buttresses to either corner. North chancel elevation has a 2-light window similar to nave windows and east elevation has a similar 3-light window flanked by clasping buttresses. Above in the top of the gable is a small trefoil window. South chancel elevation has two similar 2-light windows, that to east partly filled in to base and decorated with relief designs. South aisle has another similar 2-light window to east and two 3-light squatter pointed geometric tracery windows to south. Between the windows and to each corner of aisle there are stepped buttresses. All windows to nave, aisle and chancel have hoodmoulds with nail-head stops and all except north nave windows have pointed relieving arches of alternating red and yellow stones. Beyond windows to west, the aisle has an advanced gabled doorcase with ridge cross to top of stone coped gable, and a richly moulded pointed doorcase with contrasting red stone nookshafts and hoodmould with foliage stops. Interior has 1861 three bay arcade with double chamfered pointed arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals, and a wide chamfered pointed C19 chancel arch with soffit mould resting on column corbels with stiff leaf capitals, plus hoodmould. Tower has a low pointed arch with triple chamfered arch dying into splayed jambs, plus hoodmould with foliage stops and the chancel has a moulded four-centred arch into the organ bay. Both nave and chancel have C19 arched braced roofs on stiff leaf corbels and both have a continuous sill stringcourse. The chancel is panelled up to sill height with Minton tiles and has a marble reredos with inlaid semi-precious stones, a small trefoil headed piscina with hood, a simple sedilla to base of the eastern window, mid C19 brass altar rails and choir stalls and organ of similar date. The nave has similar date pews with inset quatrefoils to the bench ends, and an octagonal stone pulpit with cusped headed orange marble panels to each side and a polished black marble column supporting the lectern. Beneath the tower is an octagonal granite font resting on a central pier with four colonnettes, each side of the bowl decorated with inset quatrefoils. Broken original stone font sits on the floor nearby. There are three memorials in the chancel, one enamelled brass plaque to Lady Law who funded the restoration of the church, one simple white marble wall memorial to Charles Colville who died 1886 and a gothick aediculed one to George Colville of c1860. In the nave there are four brass wall plaques, all early C20, two commemorating First World War victims. Most of the windows have clear glass but the east window has brightly coloured stained glass inscribed J B Capronnier Buxelles Fecit 1862'. The north chancel window also has stained glass, given in memory of Alice Colville, by Ward and Hughes, and the east window of south aisle has glass by Christopher Webb of c1962, also the west window has mid C19 stained glass.
Listing NGR: SK2498712944
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing