KILLIGANOON HOUSE AND GARDEN WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1159125

Date first listed: 12-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: KILLIGANOON HOUSE AND GARDEN WALLS

Map

Ordnance survey map of KILLIGANOON HOUSE AND GARDEN WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159125 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 23:03:11.

Location

Statutory Address: KILLIGANOON HOUSE AND GARDEN WALLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Feock

National Grid Reference: SW 80724 40560

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 84 SW FEOCK

2/4 Killiganoon House and garden walls

II

Country house with adjoining garden walls. Circa 1750. Built for Richard Hussey. (NMR). Reroofed and refloored and slightly remodelled circa 1874-5 following serious fire in 1873. Finely coursed slatestone to garden front with granite quoins and keystones. Painted brick-faced side and entrance front walls. Dry Delabole slate roof with gable ends in the form of pediments and modillion eaves cornices to front and rear circa 1875. Brick chimneys over partition walls are in their original positions formerly over the ridges of the C18 double span roof but now to front and rear of single span roof ridge. Main part is double depth plan with 3 principal ground floor rooms to garden front central room with canted bay. Large stair/entrance hall behind central and left-hand room, further reception room behind right-hand room, plus small room to rear left of stair hall and service range to south-west side. 2 storeys. 2:2:3:2 bays south east garden front with 2 window service wing to left at lower level. Walling to ground floor sill level with blocked window opening may survive from earlier house. Further single storey service range to far left. Main part, originally symmetrical, with granite plinth and central canted 3 window bay surmounted by polygonal roof. Ground floor French windows have marginal glazed overlights. Right-hand ground floor openings partly blocked with central pier removed to form 1 large window, C20. Other windows are circa 1875 horned sashes with marginal glazing in original C18 openings with shallow arches over. Original circa 1875 gutters with downpipe on side wall. 5-window north west entrance front has plinth, granite quoins and brick facing slightly remodelled circa 1875 (originally 3 storeys). 1:3:1 bays with central bays broken forward and surmounted by pediment with Venetian window within tympanum lighting roof space. Tetrastyle wooden porch with shallow arches between Doric columns. Entrance originally central but now blocked and entrance now in former window position to right. Enlarged opening with C20 transomed casement and smaller C20 casement in original C18 opening in right-hand bay. Other windows are circa 1875 horned sashes with marginal glazing. Tympanums of gables to side walls are rubble of circa 1875 over C18 brick below pediment level. Interior of circa 1875 survives almost complete with features of early-mid C18 style in the Victorian manner including open-well, open-string pitch pine stair with turned balusters, wreathed handrail over newel and cantilevered landing; plaster cornices with modillions to stair hall and to front north; plaster cornices in all principal rooms, door architraves and panelled reveals. Central front room, with projecting bay, has high dado panelling and stone fireplace with moulded jambs and moulded arched hood probably slightly later. Similar style fireplace in stair hall vestibule. 2 stone and marble tablets survive from C18 house, one with figure of Britannia, separated from chariot, now resited in original door position. Roof structure is of curious triangulated wooden girders between cross walls. Adjoining C18 slate coped slatestone rubble garden walls survive enclosing a rectangular garden to south east front, and screen service area by entrance front to north.

Listing NGR: SW8072440560

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 63292

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing