LAMBTON CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1159138

Date first listed: 04-Jun-1952

Statutory Address: LAMBTON CASTLE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LAMBTON CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159138 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 19:21:08.

Location

Statutory Address: LAMBTON CASTLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: North Lodge

National Grid Reference: NZ 29828 52570

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTH LODGE LAMBTON PARK NZ 25 SE 4/47 Lambton Castle 4/6/52 (previously included in the Civil Parish of Harraton) GV II*

Castellated country house. Circa 1820-8 by Ignatius Bonomi for John George Lambton; incorporating core of the C18 Harraton Hall; 1862-5 additions by Sidney Smirke (following a design by John Dobson) were largely demolished in 1932. Ashlar sandstone, Welsh slate roofs and stone chimney stacks. Complex U-plan with detached south-east tower. Perpendicular style (mainly 2-light windows under hoodmoulds).

South front by Bonomi. 2 linked blocks and detached east tower. 3-storey, 5-bay west block with tall octagonal stair tower at west, pointed lower and square-headed upper windows, corbelled round turret on second floor at east and embattled parapet. Set-back lower 3-storey, 6-bay east block, refronting of C18 core, has pointed 2-storey upper windows (with panels of blank tracery masking floor level), flying buttresses between bays and embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Tall octagonal east tower with splayed base, staggered loops, corbelled-out embattled parapet and taller round stair turret (parapet removed). West return partly refaced after demolition of 1862 additions; 2-storey, 3-bay north section by Bonomi with linking bay and porte- cochere on north. Porte-coch<re, constructed 1932 from Smirke's north arcade, has 4 panelled octagonal turrets, 4-centred arches and embattled parapets. Complex north front: split-level east wing is fragment of 1862 service wing; 3-storey, 3-bay centre, refronting of C18 core, has 24-pane sashes on ground floor; projecting 1862 staircase addition at west. Low-pitched roofs and octagonal stacks mainly hidden by parapets.

Interior: central C18 core has one room with re-used early C18 panelling and 2 rooms on south side with Palladian plasterwork (enriched doorcases; one room with fireplace and broken-pedimented overmantel flanked by shell niches). Other large ground-floor rooms and staircase by Smirke in Tudor style (linenfold panelling, carved wood fireplaces and beamed ceilings).

The home of John George Lambton, later 1st. Earl of Durham, a noted radical statesman and co-author of the 1832 Reform Bill.

(Christopher Hussey, "Lambton Castle - Durham", Country Life Volume CXXXIX, 1966).

Listing NGR: NZ2982852570

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 109390

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 89, (1966)

End of official listing