- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CROXDALE HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159140.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2021 at 21:37:04.
- Statutory Address:
- CROXDALE HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- County Durham (Unitary Authority)
- Croxdale and Hett
- National Grid Reference:
- NZ 27341 37856
CROXDALE AND HETT CROXDALE HALL
17/50 Croxdale Hall
10/5/67 (formerly listed
Country house. Probably C17; altered and re-faced c.1760, possibly by John
Carr for William Salvin with Rococo plasterwork attributed to Guiseppe Cortese;
early C19 alterations, including 1807 private R.C. chapel possibly by James
Wyatt. Squared sandstone with ashlar south front. Graduated green slate
roofs and old brick chimney stacks. U-plan. Classical style with Gothick
2-storey west front re-faced c.1760. 3 + 1 + 3 bays, the centre bay recessed.
Raised-and-chamfered quoins at left, band between storeys, eaves cornice and
low parapet. Double flight of steps to central replaced door in Roman Doric
surround. Venetian window above doorway; flanking 12-pane sashes in raised
surrounds. Low-pitched hipped roof with ridge stacks. 2-storey, early C19
south front: 5 bays with projecting, pedimented 3-bay centre. Sill bands,
eaves cornice and low parapet. Mainly replaced sashes in plain reveals:
tripartite sashes, with Venetian windows above in raised surrounds, in end
bays; 12-pane sashes on ground floor of 3-bay centre. Similar hipped roof.
North front has 3-storey, 5-bay centre flanked by late C18 2-storey, full-
height semicircular bows. Centre has 12- and 9-pane sashes in flush surrounds.
Bows have sill strings and Venetian windows on both floors. Rubble wall
built behind sashes when chapel inserted into east bow. Steep hipped roof.
2 sashes with radial heads, running through 2 storeys and lighting staircase
hall, on rear of west range. Large pointed windows on 3-bay east side and
one-bay south side of chapel.
Interior: Several ground-floor rooms with fine Rococo plasterwork, carved
chimney-pieces and panelled doors in architraves. Staircase, with ramped and
wreathed handrail on stick balusters, starts in one flight and branches into
two. Elaborate staircase hall ceiling with central goddess and cartouches in
Doric frieze. Drawing-room ceiling with central eagle. Library fitted with
mahogany bookcases in late C18. Dining room, in west bow of north range, has
severe late C18 decoration: panelling with fluted pilasters, Roman Doric
entablature with bucrania, enriched Venetian window surmounted by carved
wyverns and doorways with broken pediments. Gothick chapel: 3 bays divided
by thin clustered columns with tiny capitals carrying octapartite vaults with
flat bosses; sanctuary in bow with canted sides and canopied niches; gallery
at opposite end. Also several first-floor bedrooms with similar, though more
restrained, c.1760 plasterwork, chimney-pieces and panelled doors.
The Manor of Croxdale has been owned continuously by the Salvin family since
(C. Hussey, "Croxdale Hall - County Durham", Country Life, Volume LXXXVI,
Listing NGR: NZ2732837866
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Country Life' in August, , Vol. 86, (1939)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 7 Cleveland Part 13 Durham Part 41 Tyne and Wear,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing