VICARAGE OF ST MARY MAGDALENE WITH YARD WALL AND GATEWAY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1159147

Date first listed: 16-Oct-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Jan-1988

Statutory Address: VICARAGE OF ST MARY MAGDALENE WITH YARD WALL AND GATEWAY, BROOMSIDE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of VICARAGE OF ST MARY MAGDALENE WITH YARD WALL AND GATEWAY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159147 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 16:25:55.

Location

Statutory Address: VICARAGE OF ST MARY MAGDALENE WITH YARD WALL AND GATEWAY, BROOMSIDE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Belmont

National Grid Reference: NZ 30567 43606

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BELMONT BROOMSIDE LANE NZ 34 SW (South side) 7/13 Vicarage of St. 16/10/75 Mary Magdalene with yard wall and gateway GV II (formerly listed as Vicarage)

Vicarage with yard wall and gateway at rear. 1861-2 by Walton and Robson of Durham and London. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings and plinth; Welsh slate roof. Stone rubble wall with ashlar coping and gateway; wrought iron gate. Gothic style. Main block 2 storeys, 2 bays under front gables; left service wing has 2 lower storeys, 2 bays; left extension one storey, 2 bays. Boarded door with forked strap hinges at left in 2-centred- arched surround under dripmould. Plate tracery in 2-light entrance-hall window and in window above entrance; right bay has canted bay window with steeply-pitched hipped roof; blank above, except for quatrefoil in gable peak. Flush ashlar band at first-floor sill level, interrupted by bay window. Service wing has 2-light stone-mullioned windows in left bay, single light in first floor at right. One-storey extension has vehicle doors and 2 single lights. Roof has steeply-coped ridge chimneys. Right return of 2 bays has trefoil heads to 2-light windows in left bay; projecting bow in right bay has shouldered heads to three 2-light windows. First-floor ashlar band continues from front. All windows have sloping stone sills.

At rear, flat-coped wall c.one metre high steps up to form gateway and continues to link to outbuildings. Wrought iron gate has scrolls of baroque character.

Sources: plans in possession of vicar, signed Walton and Robson of London and Durham, and stamped March 1861 with plan no. 5216; Morris and Harrison's Commercial Directory of County Durham 1861, p.15, giving Walton and Robson architects at 45 North Bailey and 18 Adam Street.

Listing NGR: NZ3056743606

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 110002

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Morris, , Harrison, , Commercial Directory of County Durham, (1861), 15

End of official listing