GAWSWORTH NEW HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1159278
Date first listed:
14-Apr-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
25-Oct-1985
Statutory Address:
GAWSWORTH NEW HALL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of GAWSWORTH NEW HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159278.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2019 at 14:05:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
GAWSWORTH NEW HALL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Gawsworth
National Grid Reference:
SJ 89192 69835

Details

SJ 86 NE GAWSWORTH C.P. CHURCH LANE

5/10 Gawsworth New Hall (formerly listed as the New Hall)

14.4.67

GV II*

Country House. 1707-1712 with later additions and alterations, including those dated on datestone of 1914 by Sir Hubert Worthington. Red Flemish bond brick with stone slate roof. Two storeys and attic, E-shaped plan. Garden front: 16 bays. Slightly projecting plinth. String course between floors. C19 sash windows of 4 panes to both floors replacing original casement lights. Flat-arched heads of gauged brick, those at ground floor level being deeper. Doorway at fifth ground floor bay from left replacing original window. Doorway at seventh bay from right now replaced by a window. Break in band above this indicates possible large doorcase. All windows have stone sills. Hipped dormers to attic. Left hand reveal: 7 bays similar to garden front save that the ground floor sash windows have 3 x 5 panes and there is a central elaborate wooden doorcase by Sir Hubert Worthington with Corinthian pilasters and segmental open pediment containing swags in high relief supporting a coat of arms of the first Earl of Harrington. First floor window second from right now replaced by triple single-light sashed windows. Courtyard front: Central projecting wing with brick quoins to corners and square datestone to first floor centre containing date 1914 with initial H and coronet over in circular cable surround. Four bays to either side, those in the re-entrant angles to central projection being single storey slightly recessed wings, contemporary with it. Other bays as on garden front with door at left and breaks in string course at right and left indicating probable original doorcases. Projecting wings at either side with usual fenestration but altered by insertion of smaller windows to service rooms, fire escape at right of right hand wing and garage door at left of left hand wing. Original 2-light casement window surviving in right hand wing at first floor level in second bay from left of cross form with 4 x 10 panes to lower lights and 4 x 6 panes above. Similar upper portion of window whose lower lights have been replaced with plate glass at ground floor right of left hand wing. Interior: Drawing room: late C18 wooden panelled fireplace with painted canvas overmantel of flowers in a vase. Mid Victorian Adam-style surround to another ground floor fireplace. Some hob-grates surviving to attics.

The house was started by Lord Mohun but abandoned after his death in a duel with the Duke of Hamilton in 1712 in which both men were killed.

Sources:

R Richards - The Manor of Gawsworth

Nikolaus Pevsner & - The Buildings of England : Cheshire Edward Hubbard

Listing NGR: SJ8919169837

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
58596
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)
Richards, R, The Manor of Gawsworth
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 6 Cheshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12698/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J M Pickering. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].