GARDEN ORNAMENT, 70 METRES TO NORTH EAST OF PRIORY GARDENS COTTAGE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Location Description:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159335.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 04:09:05.
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Location Description:
- Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
Late-C17 pedestal to missing garden ornament.
Reasons for Designation
The late-C17 garden ornament 70m to the north-east of Priory Gardens Cottage is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic: as a built element of the designed landscape at Gisborough Priory Gardens * Group value: for its association with numerous other listed structures and the scheduled Gisborough Priory ruins, which together provide physical evidence as to the story of an historically significant site with a great time depth * Date: for its retention of pre-1700 fabric
The lands belonging to the former Priory were first leased by Thomas Chaloner in 1547, who subsequently purchased them in 1550 for £998. It was not until the death of Edward Chaloner in 1680 that the family moved to the site. Edward’s son William constructed a mansion on Bow Street, known as Old Hall, and it was at this point that the gardens were developed. The standing stonework of the Priory was incorporated into the ornamental gardens to provide a setting to the Hall. Research into the gardens has identified three main phases; 1709, 1773-1805 and 1854.
This pedestal has previously been identified as late C17 and may date to the first period of garden development. It was however reused, and possibly moved, in the early C20 to form the central feature of a rose garden created under Richard Chaloner. This was originally bounded by hexagonal box hedging, some of which may survive. The pedestal was formerly surmounted by a late-C18 octagonal stone vase, described in the 1984 list description as an ogee shaped bowl with everted rim; egg and dart moulding on ovolo rim; foliated calyx and bun foot. This was stolen sometime during the late C20.
DESCRIPTION: large pedestal with paterae and heavily moulded cornice.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Gisborough Priory Project, , The Lost Gardens of Gisborough Priory, (2008)
Reid Jubb Brown Partnership for Gisborough Priory Project, The Strategic and Operational Plan for the Gisborough Priory Gardens, May 2006,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing