CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1159776
Date first listed:
29-Apr-1988
Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, COATHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159776.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 02:18:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, COATHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 59473 25003

Details

REDCAR COATHAM ROAD, south side NZ 52 NE & NZ 52 SE 1/39 & 4/39 Christ Church G.V. II

Church, 1854 by Coe and Godwin, from the benefaction of Mrs. Teresa Newcomen. Late C19 organ chamber. Squared random sandstone rubble with Bath stone dressings. Welsh slate roofs. West tower, clerestoried and aisled nave with south porch, chancel with south organ chamber and north vestry. Decorated style with reticulated tracery. 4-stage tower has double-chamfered plinth, angle buttresses with offsets, vice at south-west angle and stone broach spire with ornamented metal finial. Double-chamfered west doorway below chamfered window in 2nd stage. 3 lancets in each face of 3rd stage below openwork clock faces on north, south and west sides. Chamfered bell openings with tracery and sill band. 4-bay nave and aisles with offset buttresses between bays. Clerestorey windows triangular with curved sides. Gabled porch has boarded double doors, with ornamented strap hinges, in chamfered surround. Lower 2-bay chancel and organ chamber. Lateral stack on north side; roof has crested ridge tiles. Cross finials on nave and chancel. Gabled vestry with diagonal buttresses. Interior: plastered, with Caen stone dressings. Double-chamfered arcades with foliate capitals on compound piers. Continuous hoodmould with bosses and mask stops., Clerestorey sill string. Tall tower arch holds glazed wood screen. Chancel arch with compound responds on enriched corbels. Mintons encaustic tiled floors in chancel and sanctuary. Double-framed braced collar nave roof has 2 levels of purlins, ashlar pieces, curved braces and wall posts on moulded corbels. Good contemporary stained glass in nave. Chancel windows 1858 by G.W. Terry, and Fussel and Clouser (London). East and west windows 1865 by Wailes (Newcastle). Font, pulpit, sedilia, reredos and piscina, 1865 by Sir Gilbert Scott. Plain octagonal font on 4 engaged shafts. Octagonal pulpit drum on 6 engaged shafts, has offset buttresses at angles and carved panels. 3-bay sedilia has trefoil-headed openings and angels in spandrels. 3-bay ogee-headed reredos flanked by traceried niches with angels in spandrels. Similar piscina with foliate bowl, now altered to aumbry with Art Nouveau repousé pewter panel on door. Crocketed foliate canopies and finials are common to sedilia, reredos, aumbry and pulpit panels. Richly carved 1922 rood beam has pendant vaulting, drop tracery, brattishing and rood flanked by figures of saints. History: the church is associated with the Christ Church Sisterhood, the first Anglican religious community in the north, who from 1854 provided a hospital and medical services for the people of Middlesbrough and sent trained workers to found or help medical services in other industrial areas. The church also has value as a local landmark.

Listing NGR: NZ5947325003

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
60294
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/10158/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Bradley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].