Church of St Cuthbert

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1159782

Date first listed: 14-Jan-1988

Statutory Address: Church of St Cuthbert, Church Lane

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Cuthbert
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1159782 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Apr-2019 at 14:45:37.

Location

Statutory Address: Church of St Cuthbert, Church Lane

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County Durham (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Shadforth

National Grid Reference: NZ 34212 41352

Details

NZ 34 SW 7/39 SHADFORTH CHURCH LANE (east side) Church of St Cuthbert

GV II Parish church. 1834-40 by Thomas Jackson, died 1840, completed by his son George. Consecration stone dated 1841 set in boiler-house lintel. Chancel rebuilt 1889-91 by Hicks and Charlewood; one bay west extension of nave probably 1917 by Caröe.

Coursed squared limestone, and rubble east nave wall, with plinth and sandstone ashlar dressings; additions and alterations of coursed squared limestone with similar plinth and dressings. Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. Nave with south porch; chancel with north vestry.

Double boarded doors in two-centred-arched surround in gabled porch with side buttresses. Three bay nave has paired lancets in bays defined by tall, shallow buttresses, their coping extending to corbel table. Tall gabled buttresses between single lancets of three bay chancel. Clasping buttresses at corners. Sill strings, stepped to triple stepped east lancets, continue round buttresses. West lancets stepped over small west chamber with stepped parapet over shouldered south door and three rectangular west windows; west basement door to boiler room has re-used consecration stone. Roof has gabled west bellcote with fleur-de-lys finial; cross finials to nave and chancel. Block kneelers to steeply-pitched chancel roof.

Interior shows painted plaster with crenellated dado and ashlar dressings; carved wood frieze to roof with king-post on collar; two strutted braces from wall to rafter, and rafter to collar. Panelled chancel roof. Large double-chamfered chancel arch and organ arch. Brass panel in chancel commemorates insertion of two windows in nave, and flooring of chancel in marble, in 1926; floor now boarded over.

Monuments include marble slab in nave to first rector, R.B.C. Blenkinsopp, signed W.T. Hale, 448 Edgware Road, London W. Early C20 font with round stone bowl, incised lettering on rim, of high quality. In vestry, carved wood font cover dated 1896, and painted panel concerning building in 1839 and provision of seats.

Listing NGR: NZ3421241352

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 110030

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 449

End of official listing