CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1160127
Date first listed:
14-Sep-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1160127 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 18:08:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Winston
National Grid Reference:
NZ 14350 16873

Details

NZ 11 NW WINSTON WINSTON VILLAGE

5/61 Church of St.Andrew 14.9.66 I

Parish church. Mid C13, restored 1848 by John Dobson. Mid C13 sandstone rubble with roughly-dressed quoins; mid C19 dressed sandstone; renewed Welsh slate roofs. South-west tower, nave with south aisle and south porch, chancel with north vestry. Transitional and Early English style.

Tower of 1848 in two stages: buttressed square-plan base and octagonal belfry; spirelet of sandstone flags with ball finial. Nave mainly rebuilt 1848: 4 bays with chamfered plinth; south aisle has 2 stepped buttresses and 4 lancets under individual hoodmoulds; north wall has medieval stonework, 3 restored lancets and a blocked door at west end; mid Cl9 west front has 2 lancets with vesica above and stepped clasping left buttress with pinnacle. Steeply-pitched roof has coped gables with shaped kneelers. Mid C13 2-bay chancel of large proportions; 2 lancets to each bay; chamfered plinth and sill band with Cl9 buttress division on south wall; left bay of south wall has blocked priest's door under shouldered lintel and narrow round-headed window above with roll moulding. East end has 2 stepped clasping buttresses, low central buttress and 3 stepped lancets. Low- pitched roof has coped gables with shaped kneelers. South porch of 1848 has pointed arch of 2 orders with attached colonnettes. North vestry of 1848 has east door under shouldered lintel.

Interior: Nave has south aisle arcade of double-chamfered pointed arches under hoodmoulds; keeled responds; cylindrical pier with octagonal base and moulded circular cap divides eastern bays; second bay from west is a section of solid wall; arch-braced roof of 1848. Chancel: continuous roll moulding at same height as external sill band is raised over blocked priest's door; pointed double- chamfered chancel arch of 1848; piscina in south wall is a cusped, trefoil-headed niche with chamfered arris, roll moulding, nutmegornament and a broken stop; round rear-arches to lancets; King-post roof of 1848.

Fittings: choir stalls have C17 carved poppyhead bench ends; font, possibly C14 and later re-cut, is circular bowl on cylindrical shaft with low relief of fighting dragons, tracery and flower motifs round rim.

Monuments: fragment of cross-head (possibly pre-Conquest); large medieval grave cover with foliated cross at west end of nave; 3 brasses in floor; early C18 oval marble memorial tablet, in pedimented aedicule, to the parents of Peter Lancaster, Rector, in south wall of chancel.

Listing NGR: NZ1435216877

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
111152
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jun 2003
Reference: IOE01/10946/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].