BARNINGHAM VILLAGE SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1160175
Date first listed:
28-Oct-1987
Statutory Address:
BARNINGHAM VILLAGE SCHOOL

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1160175.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Aug-2020 at 21:07:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
BARNINGHAM VILLAGE SCHOOL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Barningham
National Grid Reference:
NZ 08438 10252

Details

NZ 0810 BARNINGHAM BARNINGHAM VILLAGE (South side)

15/47 Barningham Village School

GV II



School, c.1875. Roughly-coursed rubble with rock-faced quoins and tooled ashlar dressings. Graduated stone slate roof except for C20 hardrow tiles to rear. 1 storey, 3 bays. 3-light chamfered mullioned windows holding 2-pane casements. Gablet above centre with inscription 'ERECTED BY THE FAMILY OF THE LATE LADY AUGUSTA HENRIETTA MILBANKE....", moulded circular surround for clock, and ball finial. Coped gables on moulded kneelers; central circular metal ridge vent. Left return shows triplet of lancets, wrought-iron cross fleury finial and lower gabled porch to left: boarded door with ornamental scrolled hinges, under segmental-pointed arch. Right return shows similar triplet and gabled bellcote with segmental-pointed arch and wrought-iron finial; to right a C20 flat-roofed extension with re-set similar doorway, from former porch, on left return. Rear elevation shows projecting central gabled wing with 3-light mullioned window.

Interior: main hall has 2 arch-braced collar-beam trusses with upper king posts.

Historical note; the date on the inscription has weathered away; the Lady Milbanke commemorated died in 1874.

Included for group value.

C20 extensions flanking rear wing are not of special interest, except for the re-set doorway mentioned above.

Listing NGR: NZ0843810252

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
111636
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/07077/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Le Mare. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].