CHURCH OF SAINT CREWEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1160230
Date first listed:
10-Jul-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT CREWEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT CREWEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1160230.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:58:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT CREWEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Crowan
National Grid Reference:
SW 64583 34495

Details

SW 63 SW CROWAN CROWAN

4/146 Church of Saint Crewen 10.7.57 GV II*

Parish church. C15, incorporating some earlier fragments, much restored in 1872 by J.P. St Aubyn; porch and south vestry transept probably later. Principally granite ashlar with mostly C19 Perpendicular style granite windows. Porch and south transept are rock-faced granite brought to course. Dry Delabole slate roofs with gable ends, chancel gable coped. Stone chimney with paired round shafts over transept gable. Plan : nave/chancel under one roof, west tower, north aisle with rood stair projection, south aisle, C19 south vestry transept and south porch. The tower survives virtually complete and unaltered but the rest of the church was heavily restored in 1872 by J.P. St Aubyn. The C15 arcade and the principal plan layout survives. Fine C15 west tower of 3 stages, moulded plinth and strings dividing stages of diminishing width, embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. Bracket-moulded C15. 4-centred arched doorway with 3-light Perpendicular window over. Clockface to south wall of second stage and a 3-light slate louvred traceried Perpendicular window to each side of the upper stage. Small slit window on north wall for stair in north- west corner. North aisle : 2-light west window with quatrefoil tracery. Old slender weathered buttress at either side with ancient carved head over each. 3 heavily traceried windows to the north wall, one left of the rood stair turret and 2 on the right. Left of the left hand window is a narrower blocked 4-centred arched window opening. Old slender weathered buttress on the right of this opening with carved head over and wide C19 buttress on the left. There is a knitted joint near the left hand corner and a datestone (1746) over, possibly when the gable end was rebuilt. 3-light C19 traceried east window. Chancel gable projects beyond the vestry transept left, and north aisle gable, right. C19 traceried east window and 2-light north window. There is a fragment of Norman masonry built into the south east corner. The south aisle has a transept returning at the right hand end and a porch on the far left; 2 traceried 3-light windows between and relieving arches of original narrower openings over. Transept has 3-light traceried south gable end window. Porch has moulded 4-centred arched doorway. Inner doorway. Interior : between the nave and north aisle is a C15 7-bay standard A (Pevsner) arcade with steep 4-centred arches between. Steep 4-centred arched doorways to the rood stair, tower arch, trefoil headed aumbry in the St Aubyn chapel (east end of north aisle). Otherwise the features are C19: arch braced windbraced roof structures and C19 glass in the C19 windows. Fittings : curious repaired circa late mediaeval square granite font with round bowl with roll moulded cornice and corners, and with pieces of new stonework set in; C19 column of 4 engaged shafts standing on a freely carved square-on-plan base with entwined figures, set into a C19 octagonal granite slab. Otherwise C19 fittings: polygonal pulpit on granite base, parclose screen between chancel and north aisle, painted mosaic reredos depicting the Last Supper, granite sedilia with polished granite shafts in the south wall of the chancel and several coloured glass memorial windows (see monuments). Monuments : in the north aisle are some ancient reset brasses circa 1400-1599 and some fine stone monuments to members of the St Aubyn family including: Geoffrey St Aubyn, c.1400, Geoffrey St Aubyn and wife, c.1490, and Thomas St Aubyn and wife, C.1550 (Pevsner). The brasses (3) are reset in slate and difficult to decipher. The stone monuments are C17, C18 and C19. The C17 wall monument has a male and female figure within a Baroque aedicule with an open and broken pediment and Godolpin coat of arms, below is an inscribed slab to Francis Godolphin of Treneneage Esquire buried 4th February 1652, who married Anne, daughter of Richard Carew of Anthony. 2 C18 monuments: a limestone chest with moulded base, recessed square carved corner columns, panelled sides and moulded black marble lid to Sir John St Aubyn of Clowance, Baronet, died 1714 aged 45 and a fine marble wall monument Ionic aedicule with triangular pediment with dentilled cornice; framed within are 2 cherubs with trophies and a central urn, Adam influence. Below is an inscribed plaque to Sir John St Aubyn, baronet 1726-1772. Of the C19 is a marble wall monument carried on enormous consoles with inscribed plaque between to Sir John St Aubyn of Clowance, Baronet, 1758-1739, above is a mourning female figure in Grecian dress leaning on an urn. Another marble Ionic aedicule with a dove in the typanum of the pediment, on the north wall (west end), commemorates the restoration and reopening on the feast of Saint James 1872. Credits to : J W Johns, vicar; T W Paynter, curate; Abraham and W Carah, church wardens; J P St Aubyn, Architect; W Carah and W Edwards, builders. Initials I H S at the bottom. Several memorial windows including: west window of south aisle, given by George Hickman Johns BA in memory of his wife and west window of north aisle to Henry Jenkin of Kerthen, 1860. This church has suffered from a severe C19 restoration, with a fine C15 tower and there are some good quality monuments.

Listing NGR: SW6458334495

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
65854
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/08107/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Clive Kennard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].