REMAINS OF CARCLEW HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1160291
Date first listed:
30-May-1967
Statutory Address:
REMAINS OF CARCLEW HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of REMAINS OF CARCLEW HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1160291 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jun-2019 at 16:00:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
REMAINS OF CARCLEW HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Mylor
National Grid Reference:
SW7896738159

Details

SW 73 NE MYLOR

3/183 Remains of Carclew House

30.5.67

GV II*

Ruin of country house. Begun by Samuel Kemp circa 1720s but extended and completed circa 1750's for William Lemon, probably by Thomas Edwards, and extended in the later C18 and early C19. Gutted by fire in 1934. Granite ashlar, except stuccoed rubble to later C18 and early C19 parts. Plan of large originally central block of 3-rooms wide of central hall with flanking reception rooms, stair hall behind hall and service rooms to either side to rear. Flanking single storey over basement link buildings to originally identical pavilions. Later extended to left (west) by double depth range with front reception rooms and rear service rooms and long axial passage between. C18 parts terminating to left (west) with square clock tower but extended further to left (west) and to rear in the C19. Palladian style with original central 1750's part in the Ionic order. The building has extensive remains, in many parts to full wall height of 2 storeys over basement, and complete with cornice. The part to the east suffered most damage and to the right of the Ionic portico is reduced to basement level for the greater part. South front was originally symmetrical with recessed 3-window front behind tetrastyle Ionic portico with engaged terminal columns between identical rusticated ashlar 2-window bays with moulded strings below flat arch level and moulded cornice to parapet. To the left and right were single storey 5-window fronts of wings with Tuscan colonnades surmounted by entablatures and cornices. In front of the whole of this central section was a granite balustrade, in front of the portico, with flanking stairs; to left and right of the stairs, and between the column bases of the colonnades. To the far left and right were pedimented single storey over basement pavilions each with a central Venetian window. The central portico and much to the left survives, but to the right the walling has mostly fallen. Both the colonnades have gone and the balustrades are removed. However, much of the original stone is lying around the site including moulded cornices to front and to rear. The later C18 part to the left has a fairly intact single storey over basement 3-window front and 4-stage clock tower to left. The stucco is crumbling but the granite dressings of string, sill consoles, moulded sills, jambstones arch stones and cornices are complete. The front has plain openings to the basement but Venetian windows to first floor, left and right, and central single-light opening with moulded architrave. The clocktower, with splayed corners, has round-arched opening to basement, tall narrow opening to first floor, continuation of parapet cornice as string, round clock face openings to front and left (west) with moulded string as hood, over, and bellcote with round-arched openings and moulded impost string and cornice. Interior is very overgrown and access is dangerous but much internal walling survives and even window shutters and panelled reveals in places. There is a granite stair with iron balustraded columns to one side of the axial passage. This house at Carclew replaced an earlier one surviving until the C18. Called Cargelew-Dangarus in Henry II's reign, and, was owned by descendants of the Daungers as heiresses who married the Renaudins and Bonythons at the beginning of the C15. The Renaudins soon died out, but the Bonythons continued until 1697, when Richard, the last male heir of the elder branch, died, leaving an only daughter, Jane, who married Samuel Kemp. Extracted from part of Lawrence Weaver's description in The Country Life of May 13th, 1916, and repeated in a Country Life article of April 14th, 1934. Information about Thomas Edwards the assumed architect of the main phase of Carclew House can be referred to in an article by H. Dalton Clifford and Howard Colvin also in The Country Life (Vols 113 and 132, 1962). Carclew is now a magnificent romantic ruin, overgrown and neglected. Built in a commanding position overlooking Restronguet Creek and Carrick Roads beyond, and formerly one of Cornwalls very best C18 country houses. Photographs survive of the house before the fire, both in the Country Life articles and with the NMR.

Listing NGR: SW7896738159

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
63464
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1962)
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1962)
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1916)
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1934)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 8 Cornwall and Isles of Scilly,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].