CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, B 1326
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1160776.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 14:59:49.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, B 1326
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TA 26810 27742
HALSHAM B 1362
TA 22 NE
(west side, off)
3/11 Church of All Saints
Parish church. Early C12 nave with later C12 nave arcade; C12 chancel with C14 south and east sides; C14 tower, south arcade and aisle, C15 north aisle, refacing and buttresses to lower stage of tower. North chapel rebuilt in early C18. Chancel arch remodelled 1720. Restorations of 1869-70 by Ewan Christian included work on chancel, new roofs. Random cobbles to tower, west end of nave, east wall of north chapel, north wall of chancel; limestone ashlar to remainder of chancel, tower parapet, south and east walls of south aisle, north wall of north aisle; red brick in English bond to north and east walls of north chapel, and in English garden wall bond to west end of aisles and blocking of north and south tower arches; rendered brick to north aisle parapet. Limestone ashlar dressings throughout. Lead roof to north chapel; slate roofs to remainder. West tower with blocked north and south arches, nave with 2-bay north arcade, 3- bay south arcade, 3-bay aisles with north and south doors; 3-bay chancel with single-bay north chapel. Moulded plinth to tower, aisles and chancel. 3-stage tower: angle buttresses with offsets to first stage, diagonal buttresses above; stair lighting slits to south-west angle. First stage: pointed 3-light west window with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmould, small ogee-headed niche above with carved angel corbel and flanking pinnacled buttress shafts; blocked pointed arches, moulded string courses to north and south. Second stage: small square-headed south window, moulded string course. Pointed 2-light traceried belfry openings with wooden louvres. Moulded string course, gargoyle to west, coped embattled parapet. Nave: quoins and former roof line visible to west. North aisle: buttresses with offsets between bays; pointed moulded door of 2 orders beneath ogee hoodmould with carved finial, flanked by buttress shafts with finials; moulded sill string course, square-headed 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery, stone-coped parapet to north, crow-stepped parapet to west. South aisle: restored plinth, buttresses with offsets to angles and between bays; restored pointed moulded door of 2 orders with hoodmould and flanking buttress shafts; roll-moulded sill string course; segmental-pointed 3-light south and east windows with reticulated tracery, fillet-moulded reveals and partly-restored moulded mullions, restored moulded string course; coped parapet to south and crow-stepped parapet to west. Chancel: south side has buttresses with offsets to angles and between bays, full-height segmental- arched blind arcading, pointed wave-moulded door with square-headed 3-light trefoiled window above, flanked by pointed 2-light traceried windows, that to left with fillet-moulded tracery, that to right with double-chamfered reveal; north side has blocked segmental-pointed door; large fine pointed 4- light east window with curvilinear tracery in fillet-moulded reveal, with moulded sill string course, hoodmould and headstops. Chapel: chamfered quoins, chamfered round-headed west door with raised imposts and keystone with skull and cross-bones carved in relief, square-headed 2-light window above with incised spandrels; round-headed east window with moulded reveal, raised imposts and wooden Y-tracery; ashlar band, stone-coped parapet and gable. Interior. Nave: segment of C11 round-headed north window with scalloped capital (shaft missing) supporting section of roll-moulded arch; section of former Cll corbel table with 4 corbels to east (3 of them carved heads) and one reset carved head corbel to west. North arcade of plain, slightly-pointed arches on cylindrical piers and responds with moulded bases, plain moulded capitals, square abaci and plinths. South arcade of pointed double-chamfered arches dying into single chamfers, on octagonal piers and responds with plain moulded capitals and bases incorporating moulded brackets. Tall triple-chamfered tower arches to east, north and south, on octagonal responds with moulded capitals and bases similar to those of south aisle. North aisle has section of segmental chamfered arch to west, steeply-pointed double-chamfered east arch to north chapel. South aisle has small trefoiled piscina with stiff-leaf carving in spandrels. windows to aisles have moulded reveals and mullions, those to north especially ornate. C19 pointed moulded chancel arch. South side of chancel contains section of plain C11-C12 sedilia with hollowed back and plain moulded arm-rest to single seat, cut by fine C14 triple sedilia with flanking colonettes supporting tall buttress shafts with crocketed pinnacles and large blind crocketed ogee arch with curvilinear tracery and finely- carved finial; fine trefoiled ogee-headed piscina with nodding crocketed arch, mutilated animal stops, grotesque finial on window sill above, and stiff-leaf ornament to bowl. North side of chancel contains blocked pointed wave-moulded door, twin arcade to north chapel of pointed double-chamfered arches on partly-restored octagonal pier and responds with plain moulded capitals and bases. North chapel, dedicated to St John of Beverley: double piscina with roll-moulded rounded-trefoil arches; fine composite chest tomb of Sir John Constable of 1451 or 1477 with alabaster effigy of praying knight, feet on hound, head on dragon, set on reused black marble matrix with indents for brass border, shields and knight; chest has ashlar base and alabaster relief panels with crocketed ogee arches and flanking buttress shafts, the north and south sides with alternating paterae and angels holding shields, the east and west ends with figures of St Christopher and Madonna and child, and inserted ashlar quatrefoil panels. Marble wall tablet in south aisle to Thomas Owst and others, of c1816, by John Earle of Hull, with fluted pilastered surround and draped urn; tablet of similar design to isabell Owst and others of c1843. Good octagonal oak pulpit dated 1634 with carved panels and rails. C19 octagonal font. The fine C14 detailing in the chancel is similar to work at St Patrick's, Patrington (qv), and St Mary's, Welwick (qv), and the distinctive south arcade and tower arch mouldings also similar to those at Welwick. Sketch hanging in porch shows church prior to restoration. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, East Riding, 1972, p 240. G Poulson, The History and Antiquities of Holderness, 1840, p 385; Victoria County History: York, East Riding, vol 5, 1984, pp 38-40.
Listing NGR: TA2680827745
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Allison, K J, The Victoria History of the County of York: East Riding, (1984), 38-40
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 240
Poulson, G, The History and Antiquities of Holderness, (1840), 385
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing