HUNDRED FOOT PUMPING STATION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1160847
Date first listed:
26-Feb-1985
Statutory Address:
HUNDRED FOOT PUMPING STATION

Map

Ordnance survey map of HUNDRED FOOT PUMPING STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1160847 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 15:07:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
HUNDRED FOOT PUMPING STATION

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Downham
National Grid Reference:
TL 50764 89150

Details

TL 58 NW DOWNHAM PYMORE

2/18 Hundred Foot Pumping Station

II*

Pumping station. 1830, designed by Joseph Gwynne for the Littleport and Downham Commissioners, replacing a windmill, one of seventy-five in the area. Gault brick, slate and corrugated asbestos roofs. Three storey engine house with wheelhouse to right hand and boiler room and workshop, originally the coking shed, to left hand. Gabled elevation to engine house has double sliding doors at ground floor, and one round arched and one flat arched fixed light windows with cast iron glazing bars at first and second floors; and two plaques inscribed 'These fens have of times been by Water drown'd, Science a remedy in Water found, The power of Steam she said shall be employ'd, And the Destroyer by Itself destroy'd - Erected AD 1830: and 'Littleport and Downham District Commissioners Hundred Foot Pumping stn, 1756 windmill. 1830 Steam engine eight scoop wheel 41ft diameter. 1882. Scoop wheel increased to 50 ft. 1914. 400hp Gwynnes Steam Engine and pump replace scoop wheel and displaced 200 tons a minute. 1926 230hp Mirrlees oil-engine, 1951 Ruston Oil Engine 540hp replaces Gwynne engine. Interior: The 1914 pump is still in use powered by the Ruston Oil Engine which replaced the original engine. The paved second floor and stair is intact, the lower galleries have been removed. The boilers in the boiler house have been converted for diesel oil storage. The original engine was designed to pump water at two speeds into the tidal river, the second wheel with 50ft diameter was the largest in the fens. The station was built on a raft of 600 piles with 300,000 bricks. It is shortly to be replaced by a new pumping station to be built on the site of the engine house built in 1926 for the Mirrlees oil engine.

Hills, R.L: Machines Mills and Uncountable Costly Necessity 1967 Alderton, D and Booker, J: Batsford Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of East Anglia 1980 V.C.H. p.90 Pevsner: Buildings of England p331 Country Life, Vol. 138, p875, 1965

Listing NGR: TL5076489150

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
49471
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Alderton, , Booker, , The Batsford Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of East Anglia, (1980), 331
Hills, R L, Machines Mills and Uncountable Costly Necessity, (1967)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 331
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1982), 90
'Country Life' in 14 January, , Vol. 138, (1965), 875

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jan 2005
Reference: IOE01/11673/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Francis Polaine. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].