CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1160911
Date first listed:
11-Oct-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
07-Sep-2010
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CINDER HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1160911.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:58:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CINDER HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Whitegate and Marton
National Grid Reference:
SJ 62897 69348

Details

WHITEGATE AND MARTON

1036/0/10017 CINDER HILL 11-OCT-49 CHURCH OF ST MARY (Formerly listed as: WHITEGATE ROAD CHURCH OF ST MARY)

II Church, late medieval date, re-faced in 1728, alterations carried out by John Douglas in 1874-5. Red brick laid in English garden wall bond, plain tile roof.

EXTERIOR: Nave with side aisles, chancel and western tower with south-western vestry. Tower (dating from 1728 with C19 fenestration). Western face: 2-light ground floor window with ogee heads, hoodmould ashlar surround and figurehead label stops. Perpendicular-style tracery. Buttress with offsets to left. 2 lancets above. Two louvred belfry openings with cusped Perpendicular-style ashlar surround. C19 broach spire above. Other sides encompassed by building at lowest stages but with similar belfry stage. The south face has a circular iron clock face to the centre, as has the north face. Nave: South face of 4 bays with timbered porch at left which has a red sandstone base with chamfered top and arched braces above and 2-light windows to sides. C18 ashlar door surround within, with round-arched head and moulded springers and keystone. Plank door with nail head decoration. To right of this are three 3-light windows with ashlar surrounds and loosely Perpendicular tracery. The North front has 4 similar windows and one 2-light similar window at left. Chancel has single light windows to north and south and a 5-light, eastern window. Datestone below this inscribed 1874 with decorative timber framing and bargeboards to the gable.

INTERIOR: Eight octagonal wooden piers remain in the nave of C15 date. The aisle walls have dado panelling formed from the C18 box pews. Douglas retained the walling of 1728, although he lowered the wall height of the aisles.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The Church of St. Mary is designated at grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Architectural Interest: It possesses strong architectural styling and detailing using good quality materials, and incorporates the remains of a C15 church and early C18 re-facing, as well as well-executed C19 alterations carried out by John Douglas, a prolific local architect * Interior features: The interior incorporates eight octagonal timber nave piers dating to the C15 and dado panelling to the aisles, which is formed from C18 box pews * Historic interest: The physical fabric conveys the ecclesiastical history and development of the site from the C15 onwards

SJ6289769347

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
57410
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15652/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jim Spence. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].