CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1161522
Date first listed:
06-Dec-1949
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, SANKEY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1161522.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 15:00:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, SANKEY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Warrington (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 60597 88168

Details

WARRINGTON

704/1/122 SANKEY STREET 06-DEC-49 (South side) CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

GV II*

Church, 1758 and 1862, church in the style of James Gibb, west tower by W P Coron. Four bays, rusticated sandstone on north and east fronts, brick with sandstone plinth, quoins and dressings to south and west, tower in north-west corner in brick and stone. EXTERIOR: North and east fronts have first floor Ionic pilasters, semi-circular headed windows with Gibbs surrounds on ground floor cornice and parapet. Entrance at west end of north side has plain double doors, semi-circular fanlight, Tuscan Doric columns and triangular pediment. Tower is octagonal on a square brick base, with louvers and balusters, clock turret with cupola finish and weather vane. INTERIOR: Chancel area is wood panelled, The Palladian east window has stained glass showing crucifixion scenes and pillars decorated with garlands picked out in gold. Below the window on the panelling is an inscription 'To the glory of God and in honoured memory of those who fell in the Great War 1914-1919'. Below to each side is a list of those who fell in the Second World War 1939-1945. In the centre is a wooden pulpit with steps up on either side and turned balusters. To the right is a smaller, eighteenth century pulpit with turned balusters. Low wooden altar rail with balusters. The nave, also panelled, has original box pews, and a three-sided balcony also with box pews, supported on pillars encased in wood. Stone font in the shape of a bulbous baluster with metal lid. Large brass chandelier formerly in St Stephen's Chapel in the House of Commons, given to the church in 1801. Some of the windows have stained glass. Central part of roof has dentilated cornice and ceiling rose. The balcony has Corinthian columns supporting the roof and the organ loft in the north-east corner. The imperial style stair to the balcony and tower is also original. The south side of the nave has been partitioned off from the body of the church by wood and glass screens, to form separate meeting rooms, vestry and toilets. Holy Trinity church, Nos 19 to 25 (odd) form a group. SOURCES Pevsner, N, Buildings of England, Lancashire vol I, The Industrial and Commercial South, 1969

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
58842
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Lancashire, (1969)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01680/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Marcus Osborne. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].