CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1161566
Date first listed:
04-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1161566.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:56:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North East Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Aylesby
National Grid Reference:
TA 20289 07589

Details

TA 20 NW, 7/1

AYLESBY, CHURCH LANE (east side)

Church of St Lawrence

04.01.67

GV

I

Parish church. C13 chancel and nave arcades; C14 south aisle, C16-C17 tower. Re-seated in 1759. C19 restorations included new aisle and chancel windows, re-roofing. Tower restored 1939. Ironstone ashlar with some squared chalk to chancel; limestone ashlar dressings. Westmorland slate roof to chancel, plain tile roof to remainder. West tower, three-bay aisled nave with south porch, two-bay chancel.

Three-stage tower: moulded plinth, angle buttresses with offsets, moulded string courses between stages, stair- lighting slits to south-west. First stage: pointed 3-light west window with hollow-chamfered reveal, original hoodmould and C19 tracery. Second stage: square openings with pierced quatrefoils and incised spandrels in hollow-chamfered reveals. Pointed 2-light traceried belfry openings with hoodmoulds, containing wooden louvres beneath pierced boards. Large angle gargoyles, moulded string course, coped embattled parapet, tall crocketed angle pinnacles with blind-traceried shifts. Chamfered plinth to aisles, chancel, porch. Aisles have diagonal buttresses, buttresses between bays. South aisle: segmental-headed 3-light south windows with C19 tracery, heads and hoodmoulds; C13 pointed 3-light west window with intersecting tracery and hoodmould. Pair of early C19 headstones attached to south-east buttress. North aisle: pointed chamfered door, 3-light north windows similar to south aisle, C19 pointed 3-light west window with intersecting tracery and hoodmould. Chancel: diagonal buttresses with offsets. South side: pointed chamfered door, square-headed 2- and 3-light windows with C19 restored jambs, heads and mullions. North side: sill string course with central raised rectangular panel, square-headed 3-light window with restored tracery, original hoodmould and single headstop. Pointed 3-light east window with restored head, tracery and hoodmould, original sill string course. South porch: diagonal buttresses with offsets, pointed chamfered outer arch with small trefoiled ogee niche above, coped gable with damaged cross finial; square-headed 2-light traceried side windows. Stone benches, late C14 pointed chamfered inner arch with hoodmould and large headstops.

INTERIOR. Arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches on cylindrical piers and shafted responds with plain moulded capitals and bases, the earlier south arcade with water-holding bases aid seats around the piers (that to east pier restored), the north arcade with plainer bases on square pedestals, and narrower shafts to responds, that to east with a crude attached pillar piscina with an octagonal bowl. Tall double-chamfered tower arch with continuous outer chamfer and inner chamfer on shafted responds with plain moulded capitals and bases on tall pedestals with moulded plinths. Pointed door to tower spiral staircase with notched newel. C19 pointed moulded chancel arch with shafted responds. Chancel has pair of pointed chamfered lancet-shaped niches flanking east window, a C14 pointed wave-moulded recess to north wall with a segmental-pointed chamfered recess above, and a small crude triangular-headed chamfered piscina to south.

Monuments: early C14 effigy of Lady at west end of north aisle, with head on tasselled pillow and feet on damaged round; worn grave slab at east end of nave to John Martin, rector, of 1352, with marginal inscription; marble wall tablet in chancel to Geoffrey Gray and others of 1788, mid-late C18 floor slabs and early-mid C19 wall tablets to Ostler family in north aisle. Complete set of fielded-panelled box pews in nave, inscribed at east end: "James Harrison, of Middle Rasen, Artificer", and "John Beatniffe, Minister, Richard Ostler, Churchwarden, 1759". C13 cylindrical font with 4 angle- shafts.

The tower is similar to those at Healing and Immingham (q.v.), the notched newel of the staircase and "Mixed Gothic" belfry tracery suggesting a date between 1550-1650.

Listing NGR: TA2028907587

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164422
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Greenhall, F A , Monumental Incised Slabs in the County of Lincoln, (1986)
Harris, John, Pevsner, Nikolaus, Antram, Nicholas, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (2002)
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1978), 174

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Nov 2003
Reference: IOE01/08115/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Eric Clow. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].