This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1161657

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CLINTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Redruth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 66813

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

REDRUTH CLINTON ROAD SW 74 SW 11/258 Church of St Andrew II Church. 1883-4, by John Hicks and John Seddon; completed 1937-8, to design of 1927 by R.F.Wheatly of Truro. Partly coursed pink Carn Marth elvan, but mostly uncoursed polychrome killas rubble, with granite quoins and elvan dressings; completed in snecked pink killas rubble with elvan ashlar dressings; slate roof. Aisled nave of 4 bays over a basement (which forms a ground floor at the west end), extended by 3 bays with north transept, south sacristy and Lady Chapel, and chancel. Free Early English style, completed in strict Early English style. On site sloping down from east to west, the principal facade being the west gable to the road; this has angle buttresses (dated "18" "83" to left and right respectively), a shallow porch to the basement, with a shallow gabled projection containing a square-headed doorway under a 2-centred arch moulded in 2 orders, small coupled lancets on each side, a band of blind arcading flanking the gable and run out to the buttresses, and a hipped roof with brattishing on the eaves; above the porch the wall is set back slightly, and has a large 2- centred-arched 5-light window with multifoil circular tracery in the head and a hoodmould, the gable being of banded polychrome rubble up to the weathered sill-band of a stepped triple-lancet in the apex, which is coped with kneelers. Slightly set back on each side are stepped parapets to the west ends of the aisles. Seven-bay nave and aisles (4 original and 3 added); the north side has a bridge with steps to a 2-centred doorway in the 1st bay; otherwise, the buttressed aisles have small windows of 2 arched lights with trefoils in the head, the basement has windows of 2 shouldered lights; the pilastered nave has stepped triple lancets (all cusped and the centre of 2 lights) under depressed 2-centred arches; in the added bays the design differs, the nave windows composed of simple lancets with ashlar surrounds. The transept has set-back buttresses and a single tall lancet in the gable wall, and there is an octagonal turret at the junction of the roofs. The 2-bay chancel, in similar style, has 2 lancets in each side and an east window of 3 cusped lancets. Interior: 7-bay aisle arcades of 2-centred arches slightly set back behind granite piers which are quatrefoil up to cylindrical caps at the springing, from which the inner shafts continue as coupled engaged columns terminating in massive roughly-hewn granite capitals below the level of the windows, which are themselves set behind an arcade of 2-centred arches, between which the line of the piers is continued in the form of slender coupled sunk shafts; in the added bays a simplified version of this design is executed in ashlar; at the west end an elaborate font is mounted on a stepped plinth in front of a 3-bay arcade opening onto steps which descend to the basement.



Listing NGR: SW7006241836

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW 70062 41836

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1161657 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2017 at 04:16:52.

End of official listing