CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1161801.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2021 at 13:48:16.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, HIGH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SE 96036 08625
SE 9608 BROUGHTON HIGH STREET
17/36 Church of St Mary
6.11.67 GV I
Parish church. C11 lower section of tower and stair-turret, C12-C13 chancel, early C14 south arcade, later C14 north arcade, C14-C15 aisles, clerestory and top stage to tower. North chapel rebuilt 1670-71 for Anderson family. Restorations of 1824 to aisles, nave roof; chancel partly restored in 1871; restorations of 1884-85 included re-flooring, re-seating, repairs to windows, new eastern aisle arches, south porch; 1891 repairs to north windows; chancel re-roofed 1931; C20 vestry. Tower of roughly-coursed limestone rubble, herringbone rubble and squared limestone with ashlar dressings, stair-turret of large dressed stones, including re-used Roman gritstone; coursed rubble to east end of north aisle, chancel and north chapel; ashlar to vestry, squared limestone to remainder. Ashlar dressings throughout. Slate roofs to nave and chancel, lead roofs to remainder. West tower with south door and western round stair-turret, 3-bay aisled nave with south porch and vestry adjoining north side, 2-bay chancel with 2-bay Anderson chapel adjoining north side and single-bay organ-chamber to south. Plinth, quoins. 2-stage tower. Tall first stage: side-alternate quoins; round-arched door of 2 orders, the inner plain and the outer roll-moulded on chamfered through-imposts supported by shafts with cushion capitals; 2 narrow round-headed south windows above; inscribed ashlar sundial dated 1781, moulded string course. Second stage: pointed 2-light belfry openings with Perpendicular tracery; string course, restored coped embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Stair-turret to first stage has 3 narrow lighting slits, low conical roof. North aisle: restored 4-centred arch 3-light cinquefoiled windows. Square-headed trefoiled windows to vestry. South aisle: restored square-headed 2-light and 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery. Clerestory: restored square-headed 2-light and 3-light trefoiled windows. Chancel: C19 angle buttresses; C13 lancet and pointed chamfered door to south, C13 pointed 3-light east window, re-set in 1871, with geometric tracery, hood-mould and headstops. Organ-chamber: C19 square- headed 2-light window similar to south aisle. North chapel: restored square-headed 3-light cinquefoiled window, two C19-C20 square-headed 2-light traceried windows; angle pinnacles. Porch: angle buttresses with crocketed pinnacles flanking shafted pointed outer doorway with hood-mould and headstops; crocketed ogee-arched niche above with figures of Madonna and child beneath gable with finial and gargoyles. Restored C14 pointed wave- moulded inner arch of 2 orders with hood-mould. Interior. Fine round- headed tower arch (formerly chancel arch) has west face of 2 square orders with bold chamfered through-imposts and stepped-in shafts with cushion capitals, the northern shaft much worn by knife-sharpening; east face has single shafted order. Square-headed east doorway above. Interior of tower has original Cll plaster, small round-headed door to stair-turret with projecting jambs. Spiral staircase has separate stone newel-column and steps with plastered vaulting beneath, narrow square-headed doorway to upper tower chamber. Nave arcades of pointed double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers and responds with plain moulded capitals and bases to south, more ornate capitals and bases to north with ballflower ornament to abaci. Image bracket to north-east pier with carved head and upraised arms. Anglo-Saxon carved interlace stone re-set beneath south-west pier; Romanesque moulded bases re-set beneath north piers. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch and responds with moulded capitals; some Romanesque chevron-moulded stones re- used for arch. Small ogee-headed niche above. Chancel has deeply-splayed round-headed south window truncated by C19 inserted pointed arch to organ chamber; small trefoiled piscina with restored base; C19 shafted surround and hood-mould to east window. Fine C14 monument to Redford family on north side of chancel has chest-tomb beneath arched opening with adjoining doorway to north chapel, with cusped panelling to 4-centred arches, hood-moulds with ballflower ornament and large headstops, ashlar chest-tomb with carved side panels bearing coats of arms in cusped fields, and re-set late C14 - early C15 alabaster effigies of knight and lady. Below is a fine late C14 brass (also probably to Redford family) with large figures of knight and lady holding hearts, he with lion at feet, she with a hound, beneath a crocketed ogee canopy, with indents for former side canopies, shields and flanking shafts. Anderson chapel contains fine alabaster and black marble standing wall monument of 1671 to Sir Edmund Anderson and other members of Anderson family, attributed to Jasper Latham: semi-reclining full-size figure in contemporary costume with book, on chest-tomb with oval inscribed tablets in pilastered elliptically-arched surrounds with ornate carved festoons, ribbons etc above. Pair of flanking square columns carrying pedestals with inscribed oval medallions and ornate cartouches with arms. Fine alabaster wall tablet above to Sir Edmund Anderson of 1676 with inscribed oval panel flanked by open scrolls, carved swags and arms below and cornice above carrying flaming lamps and scrolled pediment with bust. Re-set against chapel south wall: section of Cl0-Cll stone with carved interlace and cable moulding, probably part of former cross-shaft; C13 ashlar tomb-slab with cross in relief. Ornate oak chancel screen of 1892, C19 font. The knight effigy, reputed to be that of Sir Henry Redford of Castlethorpe (d1404), was removed from an earlier north chapel when the Anderson monument was built, and replaced another effigy on the chancel chest-tomb. Drawings by C Nattes, 1795, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library; N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 203-4; Associated Architectural Societies' Reports and Papers, 1905, vol 28, pt 1, x-xii; H and J Taylor, Anglo-Saxon Architecture, 1965 , vol 1, p 115-116.
Listing NGR: SE9604008626
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, John, H, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1964), 203-4
Taylor, H M, J , , Anglo Saxon Architecture, (1965), 115-116
'Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers' in Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers, , Vol. 28, (1905), 10-12
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing