Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1161834.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:06:48.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
St. John
National Grid Reference:
SX 40791 53692



6/282 Church of St. John

23.1.63 GV I

Parish Church. C12 tower, early C14 work to nave and chancel, porch dated 1605, C19 restoration dated 1851 on east window surround of chancel. Slatestone and sandstne random rubble, with metamorphic stone quoins, granite dressings and C19 limestone dressings, slate roofs with crestings, pyramidal over tower. West tower, nave and chancel in one, with south porch. Tower with blocked west door: nave and chancel appear to have been rebuilt c. early C14, plinth to north but not to south. Porch probably rebuilt 1605, on site of earlier porch in front of C12 doorway. Rebuilt, expect for tower, 1867-68, by William White, in Early English style. Short 2-stage tower, stepped at 2nd stage. Relieving arch remaining from former west doorway, round-headed lancet at first stage north and south, hollow-chamfered. At 2nd stage, all sides except east have flat-headed lancet with slate bell-louvres. Butttress to north. Nave and chancel in one, with 3-bay nave and single bay chancel. To north, the plinth remains, and rubble pilasters; nive has 2 C19 windows with 4-centred arches, of 3 lights, and to west end a C17 2-light window in granite with flat head and hood mould, hollow-chamfered surround and mullion. South side of nave has metamorphic stone quoins and similar C19 window at west end, 3-light C19 window at east end of cusped lancets with 4-centred arch and hood mould. The chancel continues the plinth to north and east, not to south; stepped raised coped verges and cross finial. 3-light C19 east window with cusped heads and hood mould, dated on cill. The north side has metamorphic stone quoins on the pilaster. C14 north window of 2 cusped lancets in granite, hollow-chamfered, with central mullion carried up to flat hood mould. South side has C14 2-light granite window, of cusped lancets with quatrefoil over, all hollow-chamfered with 4-centred arch and hood mould. Gabled south porch has stepped raised coped verges and cross finial, datestone set low in wall. Round-arched doorway with rendered head of C20 and C18 slate sundial with gnomon set over. Inside the porch, a C19 common rafter roof, inner doorway has chamfered jambs on plinth with imposts supporting round arch, tympanum blocked; C19 double doors with strap hinges. Interior Tower has pointed rubble arch with imposts and plinth, deep splayed reveals to north and south windows, ceiled. Rave and chancel have C19 roof, with 5 bays to nave and 2 to chancel, with common rafters, upper collar and collar purlin, one row of purlins, principal rafters braced at bases, with larger brace at ,junction between nave and chancel. All windows with chamfered rere-arches. Fittings: Sanctuary chair in chancel, dated MA 1635, with straight carved back and scrolled arms. Plain C19 octagonal stone font in tower. Late C19 wooden pews and pulpit, panelled C19 wooden reredos. 3 C19 brass candelabra in nave for oil lamps. In the nave, a marble tablet with oval inscription panel, to John Sweet, 1786 and Isabella his wife, 1790. In chancel, round-headed slate tablet with fluted pilasters and keystone and shaped apron, with laudatory Latin verses, to Elizabeth Beele, 1747. North window in nave has fragments of medieval glass reset in roundels and diamonds. Windows in chancel, south nave and central north nave window have late C19 and early C20 stained glass. (Sources: Radcliffe, E.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970).

Listing NGR: SX4079153693


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/13857/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Norman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].