CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1162293
Date first listed:
16-Dec-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, SNAITH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1162293.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 07:06:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, SNAITH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Snaith and Cowick
National Grid Reference:
SE 66135 21616

Details

SNAITH AND COWICK SNAITH ROAD SE 62 SE (north side) East Cowick 3/82 Church of The Holy Trinity GV II Parish church. 1853-4 by William Butterfield for William Henry Dawnay, seventh Viscount Downe. Built by Charles Ward of Lincoln. Repairs of 1910 to north arcade and nave walls probably included removal of north chimney and plastering of interior. Red brick in English bond with sandstone ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof. Gothic Revival style. 5-bay aisled nave with west tower, south porch and single-bay chancel with vestry adjoining north side. Four 3-light trefoiled windows to south aisle, 3 similar windows to north. Nave has tripartite west end: projecting lower section carries partly-projecting central tower with deeply-recessed pointed 2-light traceried window beneath double-chamfered segmental-pointed arch, flanked by single narrow 2-light traceried windows and outer buttresses, the 3 window recesses having prominent sill string courses and sloping bases. Tower has flanking buttresses rising above nave roof line, sill string course and recessed 2-light plate-traceried belfry openings, and short 4-sided spire with wrought-iron weather-vane. Chancel: chamfered plinth and angle buttresses to east end, pointed 3-light traceried south window, sill string course and large pointed 3-light traceried east window beneath small circular opening and coped gable with cross finial. Porch: chamfered plinth, pointed double-chamfered outer arch with inner chamfer dying into jambs, pointed moulded inner arch, scissor-braced roof. Corbelled ashlar eaves cornice to nave and to slightly lower chancel; exposed rafter ends to aisles and porch. Steeply-pitched roofs throughout. Interior. Arcade (with narrower west bay) of pointed moulded arches of 3 orders with mouldings dying into chamfered square piers and responds. Pointed recess (former fireplace) to north aisle. West end has projecting tower section with chamfered ashlar plinth and twin buttresses flanking recessed central window beneath double segmental pointed arches; keeled ashlar sill string course to flanking windows. Tall double-chamfered chancel arch with corbelled inner order; tablet to Rev Cecil Sykes of 1898 set below north corbel in carved ashlar surround. Pointed fillet-moulded vestry door and trefoiled chamfered piscina to chancel. 8-bay nave roof with single side- purlins and arch-braced collars with trefoiled panels above; scissor-braced chancel roof, boarded above the sanctuary. Walls plastered to nave and chancel and whitewashed throughout. Large ashlar font with octagonal step, moulded circular base and bowl with blind arcading of cusped pointed arches on cylindrical piers; tall pointed wooden font cover with traceried panels, suspended from ornate wrought-iron bracket. Octagonal panelled oak pulpit with ashlar base and octagonal tester. Original oak altar rails with plain trefoiled panels. Red, yellow and black Minton tiles to floor, those to sanctuary with Downe crest and monogram. Inserted ornate carved oak reredos with figures of Christ and Apostles in relief; traceried panelling of 1910 to chancel. Mid C19 stained-glass east and west windows; late C19 - early C20 stained-glass south windows. Contemporary with the neighbouring vicarage and school (qv) and with similar groups at nearby Hensall (North Continued ..... Yorkshire) and Pollington (qv). Cowick Church is the largest of the 3, its west end probably modelled on Lindisfarne (Holy Island) Church, Northumberland. N Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, West Riding, 1959, p 171. P Thompson, William Butterfield, 1971. J Killeen, A Short History of Cowick Hall, 1967, p 27-9. R Dixon and S Muthesius, Victorian Architecture, 1978, p 49 and p 208. Photographs in NMR.

Listing NGR: SE6613521616

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164943
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dixon, R, Muthesius, S, Victorian Architecture, (1978), 49 AND 208
Killeen, J , A Short History of Cowick Hall, (1967), 27-29
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - The West Riding, (1959), 171
Thompson, P, William Butterfield Victorian Architect, (1971)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15198/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].