CHRIST'S CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1162799
Date first listed:
19-Aug-1986
Statutory Address:
CHRIST'S CHURCH, STITCH-MI-LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST'S CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1162799.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 12:57:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHRIST'S CHURCH, STITCH-MI-LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bolton (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SD7479810996

Details

SOUTH TURTON STITCH-MI-LANE SD 71 SW (north west side) Harwood

5/79 Christ's Church - - II

Church. 1840-1. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and slate roof. 5-bay nave, west tower, south transept; chancel and flanking vestries. Plain cornices and flat and clasping buttresses. Round-headed lancets with hood moulds. Tower of 3 stages has round-headed west entrance with black-letter inscription, cornice over; paired lancets to south. Recessed top stage has chamfered angles with octagonal shafts. Paired round-headed bell openings with stone louvres. Top cornice and short spire with cross. South porch, with round window above, has open pediment and round- headed entrance with inscription. Transept has triplet of lancets. Short chancel has corbelled cornice, triplet of lancets and single flanking lancets to vestries under cat- slide roofs; entrance to south. East bellcote. Interior: Nave has queen post roof with arch braces and pendants. West gallery on 4 timber columns, round-headed panelling to front with corbelled cornice. Stair has column-on-vase balusters. Relief of arms of Queen Victoria. Open seating to centre and side enclosed pews which have tip-up seats (originally for servants). Corona Lucis with metal flame forms and leaves. East end now choir; altar formed from vestment chest dated 1561 probably from Nuremburg; 2 panels from Book of Tobit and 3 figures. Organ to north from Edgeware in Victorian case. Lectern possibly C17, Spanish, octagonal shaft with finial and upright eagle. Pulpit dated 1660, from Chapel Royal, London, fielded panels and black- letter inscription. 2 choir stalls with misericords and desk, C17 English. Transept has Lomax chapel, now vestry, roof as nave with angel corbels; C20 screen has 4 C17 Flemish panels of life of Christ. Chancel arch has zig-zag moulding. Arcading to 3 sides with Creed, Commandments and Lord's Prayer. Open arcading to side and open lunettes, tunnel vault. Memorial to John Lomax, died 1827, rococo cartouche.

Listing NGR: SD7471610884

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
210559
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/00900/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David H Swain. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].