CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1163432.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2021 at 06:22:00.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Ribble Valley (District Authority)
- Great Mitton
- National Grid Reference:
- SD 71547 38965
SD 73 NW
12/80 Church of All Hallows (formerly listed as Church of St Michael) 16.ll.1954- GV I
Church, late C13th with early Cl5th west tower and late Cl6th north chapel. Sandstone rubble with stone slate roof. Comprises a west tower, nave, narrower chancel, north chapel, and south porch. The 3-stage tower has diagonal buttresses, and an embattled parapet. The bell openings have pointed heads with hoods, and 2 cinquefoiled lights with panel tracery. The west window has 4 cinquefoiled lights, panel tracery, and a hood. The west doorway is wide and moulded with a pointed head and hood. The nave windows are chamfered in 2 orders and are of 2 lights with Y-tracery and pointed heads. In the north wall there are 2 to the east of the door. To the west is a 2-light window of C18th type, with a window with plain reveals above lighting the gallery. The door is chamfered with a pointed head. The south wall has one original window to the west of the porch and 2 to the east, the right-hand one being reconstructed. To the west of the porch is a window with plain reveals lighting the gallery. The porch has a wide chamfered outer doorway with hood. The inner doorway is moulded, with a pointed head and with a hood with head stops. The south chancel wall is peddledashed. To the right of the priest's door are 2 windows matching the early ones to the nave. To the left is a window with mullion and transom, trefoiled heads to the upper lights and a trefoil under a pointed head. The doorway has a pointed head and 3 orders of sun quadrant moulding. The east window is of 5 lights and intersecting tracery. The north-east, or Shireburne, chapel is of ashlar, with one bay to the east and 2 to the north. The windows have Tudor-arched heads, ogee heads to the lights, and panel tracery. The west wall has a moulded doorway with Tudor-arched head. Above is a wall tablet with attached columns enclosing a coat of arms and date '1594'.
Interior. The nave has a west gallery with panelled timber front. The open roof is possibly early C17th and has 9 trusses with arch-braced collars and short king posts braced to the ridge. Between the purlins and principals are carved brackets, possibly a Cl9th addition. The chancel arch has 2 orders of sunk quadrant moulding. On each side of the opening are attached shafts with capitals. The chancel screen incorporates some medieval woodwork, possibly from Sawley Abbey, including an incomplete Cl5th inscription. Much of the decoration is an imitation in cast iron or terra cotta. In the chancel are triple sedilia and a piscina, moulded and with trefoiled heads. The chancel is divided from the Shireburne chapel by 2 pointed arches of 2 chamfered orders carried on octagonal piers. Beneath the arches is a wooden screen with turned balusters, the upper parts of the openings being filled by carved tracery with an ogee under, possibly Cl5th and re-used. The nave pews incorporate old woodwork, including initials and a date '1628'. The pulpit incorporates some C17th carving. In the chapel the main memorials are as follows. An alabaster chest tomb of Sir Richard Shireburne(d. 1594) and his wife Maude, with recumbent effigies and with the sides of the chest decorated by figures and by coats of arms. By Roilly of Burton (Church Guide). A wall monument to Richard Shireburne (d. 1667). Kneeling figures face one another across a prayer desk within an architectural frame with paired columns and an entablature supporting a cartouche. Recumbent effigies of Richard Shireburne (d. 1667), Richard and Isabel Shireburne (d. 1689 & 1693), and Richard Shireburne (d. 1690), all with lengthy inscriptions. Commissioned by Isabel Shireburne c.1690 and carved by Edward Stanton. A wall monument to Richard Shireburne (d. aged 9 in 1702) by William Stanton. Figure of boy against reredos background, with cherubs. Rupert Gunnis, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, 1953.
Listing NGR: SD7154638964
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Gunnis, R, Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851, (1953)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing