This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1163553



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hinxton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Dec-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52978

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


TL 4845 HINXTON CHURCH GREEN (West Side) 20/165 Parish Church of St Mary 22.11.67 and St John the Evangelist (formerly listed as Blessed Virgin Mary and St John the Baptist) GV II* Parisn Church. Chancel, nave and west tower c.1200, mid C14 south chapel, and chancel arch rebuilt. South porch later C14 and west tower rebuilt except for east wall. C15 south aisle between porch and south chapel built by bequest of Sir Thomas Skelton (d.1416), east wall of chancel rebuilt possibly late C17. C19 restorations. Walls of flint rubble with Barnack limestone and clunch dressings. Roofs plain tiled and leaded. South elevation: Tower of two stages with moulded plinth and embattled parapet with lead-covered octagonal timber spire with crocketed finial and sanctus bell. Three stage diagonal buttress on west end, trefoiled-light belfry window. Nave roof with cross finial to parapet gable; embattled south porch restored. South aisle with stepped plain parapet, large window of four trefoiled lights C15, with vertical tracery in segmental heard. South chapel with parapet embattled at gable end, C15 window of three cinquefoiled lights with vertical tracery in two-centred head. Chancel, possibly shortened in C17 with carved shield of arms of Hinde in east wall. Small C13 doorway with stop-chamfered jambs and two-centred head. Interior: Nave, rood doorways and stairs within thickness of wall: blocked C12 doorway with plain square jambs and shouldered head; arched opening to south aisle Cl5 four-centred and similar arch between south chapel and south aisle; late C14 south doorway with two-centred inner arch and square outer head with traceried spandrels and quatrefoils. Chancel arch two-centred, opening to south chapel segmental and pointed both of two double ogee and wave-moulded orders. Tower arch c.1200, two centred of one plain order with narrow chamfers, square responds with small attached shafts with plain caps. Roofs of chancel, C17, three bays with side purlins and chamfered tie beams. C14 nave roof restored collar rafter scissor braced trusses. C19 tie beams. Roof of south chapel C15 low-pitched of two bays with moulded principals, curved solid braces and moulded wall posts supported on carved stone head-corbels. South door, two centred head with vertical boards divided into six panels with trefoiled heads late C14. Font C14, square clunch bowl, with corner shafts and scalloped cap on octagonal stem. Piscina in south chapel with moulded trefoiled head C14. Stoup C15 by south door with trefoiled head. Screen C15 beneath chancel arch of three bays, restored. Seating, reused poppy head bench ends. C17 communion table. Pulpit early C17 with sounding board restored 1912. Glass fragments and figure in quatrefoil C14 or C15. Hatchments, four in chancel and three in south aisle. Brass in south transept, three figures on purbeck marble slab of Sir Thomas Skelton (d.1416). Coffin lid at entrance to porch. Monuments: In chancel; to Dame Mary Dayrell, Marmaduke her son and Sarah her daughter, grey and white marble with garlanded urn on pedestal by Edward Stanton; to Sir Thomas Dayrell d.1669 inscription of lineage with additional tablet to Barbara Lady Hinede d.1667; to Sir Marmaduke Dayrell grey and white marble with two putti holding symbols of mortality and shield of arms. South chapel; white marble tablet to Sarah Stutter d.1830; while marble tablet to James Spencer, d.1841. Nave; black and white marble with draped urn to Mary wife of Wm Vachell d.1795 and Wm Vachell d.1807 by Regnart. Floor slabs to Thomas Dayrell d.1664; Catherine Dayrell d.1757; to Sarah Dayrell d.1728; to Dame Mary Dayrell d.1717; to Sir Marmaduke Dayrell d.1729; to James Spencer d.1841; to Sarah Stutter; to Rev Clarkson d.1833; to Mary Vachell d.1795; to Wm Vachell d.1807. R.C.H.M. Report 1951 V.C.H. Vol. VI, p228 Pevsner: Buildings of England Clayton, M. Brass Rubbings V & A

Listing NGR: TL4970745175

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Clayton, M , Brass Rubbings
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954)
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 228

National Grid Reference: TL 49707 45175


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1163553 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 03:18:23.

End of official listing