CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1163631
Date first listed:
17-Apr-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Jan-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1163631 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 23:46:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Chorley (District Authority)
Parish:
Croston
National Grid Reference:
SD 49009 18394

Details

CROSTON CHURCH STREET SD 41 NE 8/67 Church of St. Michael (Formerly 17.4.67 listed as Church of St Michael GV and All Angels) II*

Parish church, probably mainly C16, with some earlier fabric at east end, and C15 tower: altered in C17, partly rebuilt at various dates in C18, re-roofed and "beautified" 1823, restored 1866-7. Squared sandstone. West tower, nave with north and south aisles under same roof, chancel with north and south aisles. Massive square 4-stage tower, mostly embraced by nave, with angle buttresses and embattled parapet with corner and intermediate pinnacles, has deep moulded pointed-arched west door with hoodmould terminating in carved heads, above this an arched 4-light window with moulded surround (probably C16 but containing later tracery), 3-light belfry louvres with intersecting tracery and hoodmoulds; clockfaces on the north and south sides; and looplights to an internal vice in the south west corner. Nave with aisles externally divided by buttresses into 5 bays, has large 4-light windows, almost semi-circular headed, with restored intersecting tracery, and hoodmoulds; 1st bay on north side has a very wide moulded 4-centred arched doorway with leaf spandrels and square hoodmould on the centre of which a small shield displays the Hesketh arms; above this a low 4-centre-headed window of 4 round-headed lights with hollow spandrels, flanked at sill level by carved armorial shields; and a battlement above inscribed: "THIS CHURCH WAS NEW ROOF'D AND BEAUTIFYD AD 1823". On south side 2nd bay has a gabled porch with diagonal buttresses and straight side parapets, an almost semi-circular-headed arched doorway moulded in 2 orders, and inner 4-centred arched doorway with moulded surround. North chancel aisle (Becconsall chapel) has two 3-light windows in the side and one in the end; south chancel aisle (chantry chapel of St. John the Baptist) has a priests door with 4-centred head, two 3-light windows in the side and one at the end. The projecting bay of the chancel has a 5-light pointed arched east window with intersecting tracery, and on the south side a smaller square-headed window with 3 cinquefoil-headed lights and perpendicular tracery above. Interior: lofty 4-bay nave, with 5th bay at west end formed by north and south arches of tower: nave arcade of relatively low pointed arches chamfered in 2 orders springing from octagonal columns, the caps and springing evidently altered and reconstructed; flat-pitched roof of 6 bays with moulded beams on carved wall brackets (similar to aisles); tower arches on north and south sides similar to those of nave but of 3 orders, but arch to nave springing from much greater height. Chancel arch (modern) of 2 orders springing from shafts with moulded caps; chancel aisle arcades rebuilt. In chancel, remains of an aumbry in the north wall, and of a double piscina in the south wall, this with a carved capital of a shaft, possibly C13; at west end, hexagonal font dated 1663 with carved geometricised quatrefoil panels, on 6-shafted pedestal; and over south door a hatchment. Reference: VCH lancs VI pp. 82-85.

Listing NGR: SD4900918394

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
184319
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1911), 82-85

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00754/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Simon Barker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].