Church of St Helen

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1163679
Date first listed:
16-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
Church of St Helen, Edisford Road, Waddington, BB7 3HS

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1163679.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2021 at 00:02:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
Church of St Helen, Edisford Road, Waddington, BB7 3HS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Ribble Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Waddington
National Grid Reference:
SD 72866 43822

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 09/05/2018

SD 74 SW 10/128 WADDINGTON Edisford Road Church of St. Helen

(Formerly listed as Church of St. Helen, WADDINGTON)

16.11.1954

GV II* Church, c.1500 with nave and chancel rebuilt 1894. Squared sandstone with stone slate roof. Comprises a west tower, nave with clerestory, lower chancel, north and south aisles with short transepts, and a south porch.

The three-stage tower has angle buttresses, an embattled parapet with string course, gargoyles and corner pinnacles, and bell openings with pointed heads and hoods and two cusped lights with panel tracery above. The west wall has a window of three cusped lights with panel tracery. The west door is deeply chamfered with pointed head and hood. The north-west buttress has a worn carved crucifux and arms of the Tempest family. The aisle and clerestory windows have flat heads and cusped lights. The east window is of five cusped lights under a Tudor-arched head and hood. The east and west windows of the south aisle are probably C16 and are of three lights, the inner light have a segmental head and the outer lights being pointed. The aisles have battlements. The inner porch door is reconstructed, with a cavetto moulding and two-centred head.

Interior; the five-bay arcade has pointed arches of two chamfered orders on octagonal piers. Above the tall pointed tower arch can be seen the roof line of an earlier church. Above the inner arch of the west door are re-set nine carved heads, some worn. The north wall of the chancel has a chamfered doorway with segmental head. On the south side is a C17 wall monument to Christopher Wilkinson.

Open timber roofs, the nave roof having bolted king posts rising through arch braced collars. The wind braces have carved decoration. The early C16 octagonal sandstone font has a base with decorative motifs and a bowl with shields carved with the instruments of the Passion.

Listing NGR: SD7286643822

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
183300
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16577/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].