CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1163738
Date first listed:
16-Nov-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
16-Nov-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET, SLAIDBURN, BB7 3ER

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1163738.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-May-2021 at 02:02:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET, SLAIDBURN, BB7 3ER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Ribble Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Slaidburn
National Grid Reference:
SD 71003 52106

Details

SD 7052-7152, 17/98

SLAIDBURN, CHURCH STREET (EAST SIDE), Church of St. Andrew

(Formerly listed under General)

16.11.1954

GV

I

Church, probably early C15 and late C15 with early C17 alterations. Sandstone rubble with stone slate roof. Comprises a west tower, nave and chancel under a continuous roof, with clerestorey, north and south aisles and south porch. The 5-stage tower has angle buttresses and a solid parapet. The west door has a pointed head, and jambs of two hollow-chamfered orders. The west window is of three cusped lights with panel tracery. Above, one over the other, are two niches, now without statues, having projecting decorated heads. Between them is a one-light chamfered window. The bell openings, probably early C15, have pointed heads and hoods, each having two cusped lights. The nave and clerestorey windows, probably late C15, have flat heads, mullions, and cusped lights. The only exception is the 2nd window from the east in the south wall which is similar to the bell openings of the tower and has a hood with head stops. To its left is a blocked priest's door with a hollow-chamfered segmental head. The east wall was rebuilt in 1866 and has a window of five cusped lights with tracery. The south porch has a chamfered doorway with 2-centred head and an inner hollow-chamfered doorway. The north doorway is hollow-chamfered with a segmental head and a false keystone with a carved head. The north aisle has buttresses with moulded offsets.

INTERIOR: The arcades are of six bays to the south and five to the north and have octagonal piers with moulded capitals, and pointed arches of two chamfered orders. Towards the east end of the south aisle wall is a piscina with moulded cusped 2-centred head, The open timber roof is probably early C17. It has short king posts, braced to the ridge and rising from arch-braced collars. Both nave and aisles have cusped wind braces, the aisle principals having ovolo mouldings and some carved decoration near the aisle walls, including heads. The church is unusual for its quantity of good early woodwork. It has C17 and C18 pews, including box pews. A C18 3-decker pulpit has raised and fielded panels, a stair of slim turned balusters, and sounding board with carved entablature. The rood screen, probably of the 1630s but possibly later, has tapering square uprights with capitals, decorated arched openwork heads, openwork frieze and dentilled cornice. To the east of the rood the east aisle bay on each side is divided from the chancel by a screen with narrow mullions and thin heads of panel tracery. The south aisle is divided towards the east by a wooden screen with cyma-moulded mullions.

Listing NGR: SD7100652104

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
183149
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/10935/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Sargeant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].