TL 3446 WHADDON CHURCH STREET
9/240 Parish Church of
Parish Church. Early C13 chancel, late C13 to early C14 nave arcades, north
and south aisles and clerestorys. Late C14 north doorway inserted into
opening of former vaulted north porch. C15 tower and nave and aisle roofs.
In 1746 Philip Lord Handwicke rebuilt the chancel roof and replaced the
windows with round headed lights. Restoration in 1868-9 by E. Christian
(dated water head), vestry and organ chamber added, south porch rebuilt.
Upper part of west tower rebuilt in 1894. Floor of chancel relaid in 1949.
Walls of flint and pebble rubble with limestone and clunch dressings. Roofs
plain tiled or leaded. South Elevation: West tower of four stages with
moulded plinth and embattled parapet. Semi-octagonal belfry stair turret to
south-east with pyramidal roof rising above parapet. Two-light belfry window
in two-centred arch. Nave, aisles and chancel with embattled parapets and
moulded plinth, (chamfered to chancel). Buttresses of two stages. Moulded
cornice with mask ornament to nave and terminating with two beasts in east
wall of chancel. Gabled south porch, C14 south doorway with two-centred arch
of two wave-moulded orders, with label and head stops. Four quatrefoiled
clerestory windows, four restored two-light, transomed, aisle windows with
flat arches and labels. Two replacement chancel windows of two-lights in
two-centred arches and priest's door. Interior: Nave arcade of five bays
with two-centred arches of two hollow-chamfered orders with chamfered labels,
octagonal piers with semi-octagonal responds with moulded caps and bases.
Tower arch, two-centred of three orders with inner order springing from
moulded caps and with continuous moulded base. Chancel arch, two-centred of
two chamfered orders with dogtooth ornament on east side, and similar
enrichment to caps of responds with attached shafts. Nave roof, late C15 of
four bays and two half bays, with moulded ridge, purlins and wall plates,
principal rafters supported by wall posts and solid curved and moulded braces
forming four-centred arches supported on finely carved stone corbels (R.C.H.M.
for details). Original bell frame for five bells with central post supported
by curved braces. Clock in bell chamber probably 1734 a gift of Dame Grace
Pickering by P Willington, Barnwell. Font, clunch C15, octagonal bowl with
quatrefoil panels supported on an octagonal stem. Piscena in chancel with
trefoiled head, hollow chamfered and with square outer moulding. Screen of
five bays partly restored C15, (blocked rood screen doorway in north wall).
Brass indents in chancel, purbeck marble slab with marginal inscription 1364,
and D' Eschallers table tomb 1469. To John d' Eschallers, or John Challers of
clunch with cusped panels and moulded top. Wall monument to Robert Allen
Hurlock, vicar, d.1852 and his wife by Thomson and Son, Camb. Floor slabs in
chancel of black marble to Thomas Pickering d.1661; to Henry Pickering
d.1705; to Dame Grace Pickering d.1732; to Elizabeth Glover d.1737; to Thomas
Tempest d.1644 and Martha his wife d.1652; to Dame Elizabeth Pickering wife
of Henry Pickering d.1694. Hatchment in chance) used as an inn sign by the
Hardwicke Arms, Arrington for Philip Yorke 3rd Early of Hardwicke d,1834.
Organ said to be built by John Snettzer enlarged and remodelled in C19 by
Walker of London.
Pevsner, Buildings of England, p.480
R.C.H.M. Report 1949
V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.150
Conquest. Indents at Whaddon, Transactions of Mon Brass Soc. Vol. VIII. 1950
Listing NGR: TL3495746587