- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- THURLAND CASTLE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1164439.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 23:33:34.
- Statutory Address:
- THURLAND CASTLE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Lancaster (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SD 61091 73078
SD 67 SW
5/57 Thurland Castle 4-10-1967 GV II*
Large house, mainly 1880s by Paley and Austin, but with earlier remains. The earliest remains are C14th. In 1643 it was made ruinous following a Civil War siege. It was restored in 1809 by Jeffrey Wyatt and in 1829 by Webster. In 1879 it was gutted by fire and had to be rebuilt, although many of the old walls were retained. Sandstone rubble with slate roofs. Comprises 2 ranges, forming the north and west sides of a courtyard and meeting at an acute angle. The windows are mullioned or mullioned and transomed and appear to date from the l880s. At the left side of the south wall of the north range is a 3-storey tower with embattled parapet and corner turret, said to be added by Wyatt. To the right this facade is of 2 storeys with attic and 2 bays, with paired windows in each bay on the 1st floor. Between bays is a doorway of early C14th type, with a cusped pointed arch and with worn carved ornament on the jambs. This is thought to have opened into the hall, which was at the right-hand end of this range. The west wall of the east range has a stair window with 3 transoms to the left, a 2-storey canted section, and a tower of 2 storeys with a blank upper stage and an embattled parapet. To the right a single-storey porch and billiard room with embattled parapets project forwards in front of Webster's additions. The porch is of ashlar and has diagonal buttresses and a pointed doorway. Above is a 2-light window with pointed head. To the right the billiard room is lit by paired cross windows with trefoiled lights. The north and east facades,facing outwards towards the moat, exploit the complex history of rebuilding to produce an irregular composition. Interior. Many of the ground-floor rooms are panelled to dado height and have ribbed plaster ceilings. The drawing room, at the south end of the east range, has 2 bay windows with armorial glass in the upper lights, and a marble fireplace and overmantel in a Gothic style within a panelled recess.The dining room, towards the north end of this range, has a timber fireplace surround and an overmantel whose central panel is carved with a shield of arms with crest and motto. The stair, also in this range, has a closed string and turned balusters. On the 1st floor, at the north-east angle of the house, is the library, which has walls of sandstone ashlar above oak panelling and has fitted oak bookshelves. At its northern end is an oriel window. At the south is a fireplace recess with moulded arch, and carved decoration, including an armorial panel over the fireplace. On the west side a dividing wall is pierced by a wide moulded Tudor arch with ribbed panels on the soffit. VCH Vol.8, pp 235-237.
Listing NGR: SD6109173078
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1914), 235-237
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing