CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1164472
Date first listed:
16-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1164472.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Apr-2021 at 14:19:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Ribble Valley (District Authority)
Parish:
Gisburn
National Grid Reference:
SD 82990 48862

Details

SD 82 48 12/69

GISBURN, MAIN STREET (North Side) Church of St. Mary

16-11-1954

GV II*

Church, probably early C16th with remains of C12th and C13th. Sandstone rubble with slate roof. Comprises a west tower, nave, lower chancel, north and south aisles, and south porch. The tower has no buttresses and has an embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. The bell openings are of 2 trefoiled lights under a pointed head. The west opening is possibly an early C19th copy. The west door and west window appear to be C19th. The door is chamfered with a shouldered flat head, and the window of 3 lights. The north aisle, of large sandstone blocks, is of 5 bays and has flat-headed mullioned windows, double hollow-chamfered with Tudor-arched heads to the lights. The south aisle is of 5 bays with embattled parapet and mullioned windows with flat heads. The 3rd bay has a window with chamfered surround over a priest's door with chamfered surround, pointed head, moulded imposts, and a hood. Both aisles have west windows of 3 pointed lights under a pointed head, possibly C13th. Their east windows are each of 3 lights, with mullions and flat heads. The east chancel window is of 5 lights under a Tudor-arched head with hood. The south porch has an outer wide entrance with moulded round arch and moulded imposts. The inner door, probably C13th, has a pointed arch with 2 orders of sunk quadrant moulding. The porch roof has 2 short king posts rising from collars. Interior. The nave and chancel each have 2-bay arcades with pointed arches chamfered in 2 orders and octagonal piers with moulded capitals. The chancel arch is similar, but springs from 2 round piers with moulded capitals. It is flanked by 2 similar arches spanning the aisles. The round tower arch is probably Norman. The open timber roof to the nave is partly reconstructed, but probably late medieval. It has 3 cambered tie beams, no principals, and crown posts braced to the ties and to the collar plate. The rafters are scissor-braced. The braces, except for those to the western truss, are curved. In the north aisle is a marble wall tablet, erected in 1706 to Sir John Assheton, with composite columns and broken segmental pediment. The chancel screen contains some C16th woodwork. The glass in the east window was renewed in 1872, when fragments of medieval glass from the earlier window were transferred to windows in the north and south chapels.

Listing NGR: SD8299048862

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
183388
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/09818/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].