CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1164600

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Dec-1985

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1164600 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 05:18:31.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster (District Authority)

Parish: Gressingham

National Grid Reference: SD 57250 69915

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GRESSINGHAM SD 56 NE

7/82 Church of St.John the Evangelist 4-10-1967 (formerly listed as Church of St John)

GV I

Church, Perpendicular with C12th remains, partly rebuilt 1734, restored 1862 by Paley. Sandstone rubble with stone slate roof. Comprises a west tower, a nave and chancel under a continuous roof, and a north aisle and clearstorey. The tower, of 1734, is of 3 stages and has clasping pilaster strips and a solid parapet with moulded coping. Above a plinth and above each stage is a band with offset. The bell openings have plain stone surrounds with segmental heads. The lower stage has a west window of 2 segmental-headed lights with a flat-faced mullion and a stone surround with slight hollow chamfer. The south nave wall is of 3 bays, with a buttress between nave and chancel. The windows, of 1862, have pointed heads with hoods, and 2 cusped lights with tracery. At the left is a Norman doorway with jambs moulded in 3 orders, imposts, and moulded arch, the outer order having a chevron design and the middle one ropework. The east window is of 3 cusped lights under a pointed head with Perpendicular tracery. The north aisle has 2 bays to the chancel and 3 to the nave, each with a window of 2 cusped lights under a flat head. The clearstorey windows are of 2 trefoiled lights under a flat head. Attached to the wall of the north aisle is a tablet in memory of Madeline Bluecher, Graefin Wahlstadt Dallas, with a German inscription arranged around a foliated cross in a foliated surround. lnterior. The tower arch has a cyma-moulded tone- surround with round arch and moulded imposts. The nave arcade is of 3 bays, chamfered in 3 orders with pointed arches and octagonal piers with moulded capitals. The chancel arch appears to be C19th and is pointed with one chamfered and one hollow-chamfered order. On the north side of the chancel, with a pointed arch to both aisle and chancel, is a small chapel now containinga tomb chest in a Gothic style erected by the widow of George Marton of Capernwray Hall (d.1867). The nave roof has 5 trusses with tie beams and high curved collars. The 2 trusses to the chancel are similar. In the chancel is a wall tablet to the Nelson family (d.1830, 31 & 37) by Websters of Kendal in a Greek style. The communion rails have turned balusters.of C18th type. The outer pews are of raised and fielded panelling and have doors. The pulpit, re-set on a stone base, has raised and fielded panels and an attached plaque inscribed: 'RT 1714'. The east window, and a window in the north aisle, contain glass said to be late work by Morris & Co. (Pevsner).

Listing NGR: SD5725469916

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 182377

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Lancashire, (1969)

End of official listing