Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDMUND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1164672 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 01:25:15.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 43596 52172



15/140 Church of St. Edmund 31.8.62 1

Parish church mainly early C12 with C15 addition and alterations. Pebble, flint, clunch rubble and freestone dressings with steeply pitched plain tile roofs. Plan of West Tower, nave and chancel. West Tower, C15 on plinth with embattled parapet and three-stage diagonal buttressing with newel staircase in North West corner. West window of three cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery in two-centred head. Small single light window to first stage and two-centred arches to bell chamber openings. Nave, c.1120 and originally with North and South transepts, now blocked. Each corner of the nave has an enlarged angle shaft of Barnack limestone. The South doorway is also c.1120 in a round headed and roll moulded arch. The attached columns have moulded bases and cushion capitals. Frieze of chip carving, to the lintel over the doorway. One small round headed window with similar ornament to the head and later windows of clunch restored. The chancel has been rendered, but similar materials visible. There are two restored C15 window with low sides in the south wall and one c.1120 round headed windows of one light to North and South walls. C15 East wall replacing the apsed sanctuary of the original church. The North wall of the nave has a C13 lancet with a restored pointed head. Interior: The tower arch, late C14, of two wave moulded arches, the inner on enlarged shafts with half octagonal capitals and moulded early C12 nave has two opposing windows on each side wall. The two at the East end have deep splays and round headed rear arches, of early C12. At the West end, the window on the North side is a restored C13 lancet and on the south side an enlarged window opening probably of C14. There are opposing North and South doorways of the early C12. The six bay nave roof is C15 and of upper crown post construction. The crown post is carried on a collar between the principal rafters and has bracing to the collar purlin only. There are ashlar pieces and arch bracing to the principal rafters and collars. The collars are embattled and moulded and have rosette bosses to the soffits. In the C14 transepts were added but these have now been removed and the openings blocked. Part of the two centred arches remain. The fine chancel arch is early C12, round headed with two roll moulded arches on the west side. The responds each have two semi-circular shafts with holdwater bases, cushion capitals and square abacus. The East side has a single order of roll moulding. One the North side of the chancel arch is an early C13 side altar of clunch. Hollow and roll moulded orders in two centred arch on corbels. On South side, another side altar in an unmoulded two centred arch. The recess is painted with a figure of St Thomas Becket and the reveals with scrolls. The chancel is also early C12 and was originally apsed. North and South walls have opposing early C12 windows and there is later fenestration in the South wall, The font is late C12. Tapering octagonal bowl on octagonal base and stem and four subsidiary columns. There are ten C16 pews in the nave and a good C15 pulpit. Hexagonal on original stem and base. The panels are carved with blind tracery at the heads. R.C.H.M.: record card Pevsner: Buildings of England p. 405 V.C.H. (Cambs) 001 VIII p. 194

Listing NGR: TL4359652172


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 405
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1982), 194


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/10490/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Charmain Hawkins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].