CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1164857
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1164857.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 04:53:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
Boston (District Authority)
Parish:
Algarkirk
National Grid Reference:
TF 29124 35289

Details

TF 23 NE ALGARKIRK CHURCH LANE (west side)

8/1 Church of St. Peter and St. Paul 26.1.67 I

Parish church. Late C12, early C13, C14, late C15, restored by R. C. Carpenter, 1850-4. Ashlar, lead roofs. Clerestoried nave, aisles, crossing tower, clerestoried transepts with west aisles, chancel, south and north porches, vestry. C14 Decorated west window of 6 lights with curvilinear tracery, flanked by single 3 light C14 aisle windows with ogee heads to the lights and triangular heads. Built between the buttresses a small C19 store. Battlemented north aisle with 3 three light C14 windows as the west end and a pointed doorway with hood mould. North transept west aisle with single 3 light C14 cusped ogee window. Battlemented clerestory of late C15 with 5 pairs of 3 light panel traceried windows. Clerestoried north transept with 3 windows to either side. Transept has tall north window of 6 lights with curvilinear tracery. East wall of transept has C13 lancet and short section of late C12 looped corbel table beneath the clerestorey. Central tower with C13 form paired belfry lights with mid wall shafts, plate tracery with mandorlas and chamfered pointed surrounds. Embattled parapet with short leaded C19 set back spire. Fine lead rainwater heads dated 1650. Vestry in angle between transept and chancel has a single 2 light window and pointed doorway. North wall of chancel has 3 C19 2 light windows with cusped ogee tracery. 5 light C19 east window with curvilinear tracery. South side of chancel matches the north with a C14 lancet having cusped ogee head. South transept has blocked window to east and 2 clerestorey lights. The south window is of 7 lights with memorable cusped flowing tracery, replete with daggers, mouchettes and quatrefoils all of the finest. South chapel and aisle have 3 light cusped ogee headed windows, one to the chapel and 3 to the aisle. The clerestorey matches that to the north and has dated rainwater hoppers of 1805. Gabled C19 south porch with round headed outer arch with triple shafted reveals. Recut C13 inner arch with roll moulded hood and chamfered head. Interior. The narrow nave has early C13 5 bay arcades with circular piers, octagonal capitals some hobnailed, some stiff leaf, and double chamfered pointed arches. Early C13 crossing arch with engaged triple keeled shafts, stiff leaf and waterleaf capitals, and 2 stepped moulded orders. North transept has 2 facetted double chamfered round arches to the west on circular shafts with octagonal and late C12 waterleaf capitals. Double chamfered round arch on east side on circular respond to south and figured corbel to north. The C13 lancet has shafted reveals with stiff leaf capitals. The west wall of the south transept matches that to the north. C14 crocketed piscina on south wall. C14 chancel has ballflower frieze and elaborate painted C19 roof. The ornate reredos by Crace is gilded and painted and flanked by 2 ogee headed and crocketed niches. In the south wall a double pointed C14 piscina and sedilia with segmental heads. Chancel walls are painted with stencil decoration. Tiled floor to sanctuary. Fittings. C19 stained glass to chancel, west window aisles and transepts, by Clayton and Bell, and Hardman. C13 Purbeck marble octagonal font on free standing circular shafts. Manuments. 2 C14 relief effigies in north transept, a civilian and a priest, under a nodding ogee canopy, and a large urn on square base, to Charles Beridge, lawyer d.1782. Marble wall plaque with obelisk to the Skerritt family, 1799. In the south transept 2 late C18 marble wall plaques to members of the Beridge family with urns and further marble wall plaque of 1792. In the south chapel a brass of 1678 to Basil Beridge, Rector and Patron, and above a further marble wall plaque to Charles Beridge d.1778. The Beridges were lords of the manor and rectors at Algarkirk for about 300 years until late Cl9.

Listing NGR: TF2912735290

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
192054
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00511/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Scarbro. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].