- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- OVER HALL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1164939.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 22:19:03.
- Statutory Address:
- OVER HALL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Lancaster (District Authority)
- National Park:
- YORKSHIRE DALES
- National Grid Reference:
- SD 65869 75822
SD 67 NE
3/134 Over Hall 4-10-1967 GV II*
House, 1687 and possibly early C17th, with mid C19th additions and alterations. Pebbledashed rubble with slate roof.2 storeys. Facade has central section of 2 bays, with a one-bay cross-wing to the right and a one-bay C19th tower at the left. Between the 2 central bays is a single-storey gabled porch. The window are rebated and chamfered with mullions. To the left of the porch are ones of 4 lights and one light. To the right is one of 5 lights. On the 1st floor the windows are of 3 and 4 lights. A drip course over the ground floor continues around the porch. The cross-wing has a one-light ground-floor window and a 2-light 1st floor window. The tower, with a pyramid roof behind an embattled parapet, has 6-light chamfered mullioned and transomed windows. The porch has an outer chamfered doorway with restored Tudor-arched head. Above is a re-cut plaque inscribed 'CM 1687'. The inner doorway is moulded. Inside, the floor has been removed from the central room in the C19th, forming an open hall with gallery. Its left-hand wall has a wide cyma-moulded fireplace with segmental arch and with masons' marks on the voussoirs. It is flanked by moulded doorway with basket arches. The open roof has a central truss of late Cl7th type, with a tie beam, raking queen struts, and a short king post rising from a high collar, braced to the ridge. The right-hand wall has the Tudor-arched head of a blocked fireplace at the former 1st floor level, now supported on corbels. A moulded doorway similar to those in the left-hand wall leads into the cross wing. Around 3 walls are C17th fixed panelled benches. Behind the tower, towards the left of the house, is a dog-leg stair with closed string, turned balusters, and moulded handrail. Underneath the 2nd flight is a board, now painted black but with lettering visible in relief which shows that it was originally a toll board. The cross-wing has ceiling beams with deep chamfers of early C17th type, and a straight flight of stone steps with C17th turned balusters and handrail. In the rear wall is a wide fireplace with chamfered jambs, moulded imposts, and a cyma-moulded segmental arch with keystone.
Listing NGR: SD6586975822
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing