CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1164977
Date first listed:
22-Jan-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW, BOURNE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1164977.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 00:26:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. ANDREW, BOURNE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Dowsby
National Grid Reference:
TF 11328 29276

Details

DOWSBY BOURNE ROAD TF 12 NW (west side) 7/39 Church of St. Andrew 30.11.68 G.V. II*

Parish church. Cll, c.1200, mid C13, early C14, C15, C16, restored 1864. Coursed limestone and ironstone rubble, limestone ashlar. Slate roofs with stone coped gables and cross finials. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, south porch, chancel with north vestry. C15 west tower with moulded plinth and string course and multi-stage angle buttresses. Polygonal stair turret to south east with slit lights and quatrefoil panel. West doorway with flattened triangular head, continuous moulded surround, hood mould and plank doors. Moulded string course above and large west window with flattened triangular head, 4 cusped pointed lights and hood mould. String course above and small rectangular light to left with panel containing shield to right. East side with rectangular doorway giving access to roof, and rectangular opening to left, both with chamfered surrounds. Bell openings on all 4 sides, each with a round head, 2 pointed, cusped lights, hood mould and ornate label stops. Moulded eaves above with central projecting gargoyles on each face. Clock below bell opening on south side. Battlements and corner pedestals of pinnacles no longer extant. North aisle rebuilt in C19 with moulded plinth and 3 rectangular windows each with 2 cusped ogee headed lights. C19 clerestory above with 3 rectangular windows, each of 2 cusped pointed lights. Vestry to east with pointed window. North side of chancel with C16 rectangular window with 3 cusped, pointed lights. East end with 2 stage flanking angle buttress. Pointed C19 window with 3 cusped ogee headed lights, panel tracery and hood mould. South side of chancel with C19 rectangular window with 3 pointed, cusped lights. C19 pointed doorway to left with continuous chamfered surround, hood mould and plank door. East end of south aisle rebuilt in C19 embedding 4 fragments of Anglo Saxon sculpture with interlace decoration of various designs. Fragments surround a blocked rectangular window with inner pointed, cusped light. South side of south aisle with plinth, 2 stage buttresses and 2 rectangular windows, that to east late C14, with 3 richly moulded ogee headed lights, that to the west, C19, with 3 simple, pointed lights. Gabled south porch with plinth, single stage buttresses and pointed south doorway with continuous moulded surround. Porch interior flanked by stone benches and with C14 pointed doorway with continuous moulded surround, 2 whorls on jambs and double plank doors. West end of south aisle with pointed window with Y tracery. Slate monument above, to Jn Westmoreland, died 1814. Interior tower arch with moulded pointed head, semi-circular responds with broad fillets, polygonal abaci with castellated abaci. Stair turret doorway in south wall with moulded triangular head, broad chamfered jambs and plank door. Mid C13, 3 bay north arcade with triple rolled responds with fillets, quatrefoil piers with fillets, pointed, moulded heads, hood moulds with foliate stops in spandrels. Later C13 south arcade with polygonal responds, octagonal piers and double chamfered, pointed heads with hood moulds. C19 pointed chancel arch with moulded head, corbelled responds with half shafts. North vestry doorway with pointed head, continuous chamfered surround and plank door. C19 pointed piscina in south wall. Blocked doorway in south chancel wall with segmental head. C19 roofs, pews, pulpit and lectern. C19 tomb recess with C14 effigy, possibly of Ethelreda Rigdon under nodding ogee canopy flanked by angels, angle shafts, angle buttress shafts and finials; effigy converted to Elizabethan dress at later date. C19 font with bowl, octagonal pedestal and C20 hood. Monuments include a grey and white monument with triangular head and apron, to Humphrey and Mary Hyde, died 1807 and 1811; 2 black and white marble monuments to Kingsman Baskett St. Barbe, died 1837; and George Foster, died 1856; a grey and white marble monument to the Burrell family, undated; a white and grey marble monument to the Reverend Kingsman Foster, died 1867; a brass plaque on grey marble, with red and green detailing, to Kingsman Baskett Foster, died 1896; and a white and black marble monument to Sarah Parker, died 1840.

Listing NGR: TF1132829276

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
194253
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/07206/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Patrick Banister. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].