RIVINGTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1165012
Date first listed:
22-Oct-1952
Statutory Address:
RIVINGTON HALL, RIVINGTON LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1165012.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Sep-2020 at 01:06:52.

Location

Statutory Address:
RIVINGTON HALL, RIVINGTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Chorley (District Authority)
Parish:
Rivington
National Grid Reference:
SD 63310 14439

Details

RIVINGTON RIVINGTON LANE (off) SD 61 SW 14/185 Rivington Hall 22.10.52 GV II*

Manor house, now premises of North West Water Authority. Various builds, dated 1694 over rear door, 1700 on rear wing, and 1774 on rainwater heads of front range, with other alterations and additions: all these being successors to a timber-framed courtyard house built in late C15. Oldest surviving parts to rear are of coursed thin sandstone rubble with quoins, the upper floors of watershot coursed squared sandstone; and the front range of 1774, together with the front of a late-C19 extension to the rear east corner of this, of brick with stone dressings; all with slate roofs. Now U-plan facing south-west, the front range being a double-pile addition to the earlier building round the rear courtyard. Front range is 2-storeys in classical style, symmetrical, 5 bays with pedimented centre; stone plinth, band, moulded cornice, parapet concealing 2-span roof with gable chimneys; central doorway and side lights in pedimented stone architrave up 4 steps, four 15-pane sashed windows at ground floor and five 12-pane sashes at 1st floor, all with splayed stone heads; similar windows in return walls, some blind, rainwater heads dated 1774; prominent late C19 wing with 2-storey canted bay. Rear: rear doorway with moulded surround and lintel lettered in relief "16 W B 94", single-light restored window to left of this, and further left a 6-light window with cavetto mullions and hoodmould, at 1st floor two 2-light casements in remains of former mullioned windows; above this an added storey in watershot masonry finished in brick; north-west wing similarly raised has on this side a blocked 4-light mullioned window under a hoodmould projected to the angle of junction, at 1st floor 3 windows of C16 type with round-headed lights, hollowed spandrels and chamfered flush mullions (2,2, and one light), between the 2nd and 3rd a carved datestone lettered B ; quoins and a W M 1700 kneeler at the corner, and continued in this line a single-bay low 2-storey addition with a doorway at the junction, a 3-light chamfered flush mullion window on each floor, quoins, and large brick gable chimney: other side of this wing has inter alia the returned ends of a hoodmould and jambs of a former mullioned window broken by a large inserted window, and 2 blocked 2-light windows above. Interior altered, but ground floor of rear has chamfered and hacked beams, and front range has a stairwell with Adam-style decoration in the lantern. Reference: VCH Lancs V pp.286-291.

Listing NGR: SD6331014439

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
184438
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1911), 286-291
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 25 Lancashire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Jan 2004
Reference: IOE01/11036/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Sargeant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].