CHURCH OF ST WILFRID

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1165114
Date first listed:
04-Oct-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST WILFRID
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1165114 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2019 at 01:37:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
Parish:
Melling-with-Wrayton
National Grid Reference:
SD 59815 71162

Details

MELLING-WITH-WRAYTON MAIN STREET (east side) SD 57 SE

4/162 Church of St. Wilfrid 4-10-1967 GV I

Church, late Cl5th with remains of c.1300 and earlier, restored 1763, 1856, and later Cl9th. Sandstone rubble with stone slate roof. Comprises a west tower,nave with clearstorey, Chancel under a continuous roof, north and south aisles, south porch, and south chapel. The tower has diagonal buttresses and an embattled parapet. The bell openings are of 3 pointed lights under a Tudor-arched head with hood. The west window is similar. The west doorway has a pointed head with hood and is hollow-chamfered in 2 orders. The west window of the north aisle is a lancet with outer chamfer and inner rebate. The corresponding window to the south aisle is of c.1300 and is a trefoiled lancet with hood. The clearstorey windows are of 1856 and are of 2 trefoiled ogee lights. On the north side there are 3 to the nave and 2 to the chancel. The windows of the north aisle are separated by buttresses. The eastern one is of 3 trefoiled ogee lights under a flat traceried head. The others are of 2 trefoiled lights under a flat head with hood. To the right is chamfered doorway with round head. To the left is a chamfered C19th vestry door. The south aisle has 2 windows of 2 trefoiled lights with flat heads and hoods. The south chapel is flanked by buttresses with crenellated cappings, and has a solid parapet with coping. Its south window is of 3 trefoiled lights with flat head and hood. To its left is a chamfered doorway with pointed head. Its east window is C19th and has 3 trefoiled ogee lights under a flat head with Perpendicular tracery. The south wall of the chancel has a similar window of 2 lights. The east window is of 3 cusped lights under a pointed head with Perpendicular tracery. The porch has a gable with coping and pointed inner and outer doorways, the outer one hollow-chamfered. Inside, the arcades are of 3 bays to the nave and one to the chancel, with pointed arches chamfered in 2 orders, octagonal piers, and caps, mostly with their mouldings defaced. The tower arch is pointed and chamfered in 2 orders dying into the responds. The roof, of 1763, has king posts rising from tie beams and braced to the principals. There is no chancel arch, but the floor level at the east end is higher, approached by a series of steps. The south chapel has an aumbry without a door, and a squint in the north wall. The nave pews, screens, pulpit, and communion rails all appear to be late C19th and by Paley and Austin. The aisle pews are C18th, with raised panels and ball finials. The numerous wall tablets include one by Webster for Thomas Smith (d. 1831). Fragments discovered during restoration and built into the vestry wall include a piece of Norman chevron ornament, part of a crucifix, and part of a grave slab. -

Listing NGR: SD5981771166

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
182460
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Dec 2004
Reference: IOE01/13687/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mark Clarke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].