CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1165122

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1165122 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 20:58:21.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Owmby

National Grid Reference: TF 00018 87349

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 08 NW OWMBY BY SPITAL CHURCH LANE

Church of St. Peter and 6/34 St. Paul

30.11.66 I

Parish Church. C12, c.1200, C13, C14, C16, chancel rebuilt 1808, C20. Coursed limestone rubble in part banded with squared blocks, ashlar, pantile and lead roofs. Western tower, nave, north aisle, chancel, south vestry. The C13 tower of 2 stages has large quoins and the tall unbuttressed lower stage is seperated from the belfry by a chamfered string course beneath a plain parapet. The C13 west door has a chamfered surround, hood mould and human head label stops. Above is a C14 ogee headed light. To the belfry stage are C13 paired lancets on all 4 sides. The west wall of the north aisle has a 2 light window with C20 tracery in C14 reveals and hood mould. North wall of the aisle is in 2 parts, the eastern one being in banded work, the western part in coursed limestone rubble. In the west part is a late C13. 2 light geometric window with trefoil. In the east part is a C19 3 light wooden traceried window in a C16 concave moulded reveal. In the east wall is a late C13 3 light window with Y tracery, moulded mullions and hood mould. The north wall of the chancel has a C15 2 light window with trefoil heads to the lights with paired mouchettes over and chamfered pointed reveal. The east window is late C13 with 3 lights, geometric tracery, trefoil heads, 2 cinquefoil and one trefoil in the head of the window. The reveals are chamfered with rudimentary annular capitals. The concave moulded hoods have floriate label stops. Beneath the capitals are small curious sinuous shapes on either side which interrupt the chamfered reveals. The vestry has plain chamfered door and window surrounds. Onthe south side, the offset stub of the earlier chancel wall can be seen in which is a C15 2 lightwindow the upper tracery of which has been renewed in C20. The south wall of the nave has 3 C19 windows, one single and two paired lights in late C13 style. Interior; the entry is through the tower. The 3 bay late C12 north arcade has massive square bases which appear to belong to an earlier phase. The circular piers and responds have square bulbous- leafed capitals and 2 slightly pointed chamfered arches with hood mould and human head label stops. The tower doorway is c.1200 and has a plain order with slightly pointed head. The C19 chancel arch has a single chamfered order with stop chamfers and annular capitals. The east window of the aisle appears from internal evidence to have been inserted as the rear arch is C12. In the north wall are the reveals of a former doorway which has been partly blacked and cut through by a later C13 window. There are extensive traces of paint on the arcade including black and yellow chevrons on the inner order of the eastern arch. At the west end of the nave are 2 command boards dated 1805. In the vestry is a large keeled C13 respond base. All other fittings are C19, apart from the font which is made from reused sections of a massive drum pillar, quite out of scale with anything which survives, and of uncertain date. The topmost section is probably a reused and inverted capital of which one plain volute survives. Monument; in the chancel north wall is a chaste limestone plaque with marble veining, to John Barr and John Dudding, dated 1778.

Listing NGR: TF0001687351

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 196790

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing