This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1165216



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Ellington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-Jan-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Oct-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 54581

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



7/108 Parish Church 28.1.58 of All Saints (Formerly listed as Church of GV I All Saints)

Parish Church of All Saints. Largely late C14 and early C15. Of the earlier church the C13 chancel arch remains in situ with fragments of C13 stone window jambs rebuilt in chancel, and reset late C13 doorway in south wall; mid C13 doorway in north wall of north aisle. South aisle C14, tower c.1400 rebuilt at same time as the nave arcades, north aisle and south porch. South wall of south aisle rebuilt at end of C15 and clerestorey added. South porch C16. Roofs to nave and aisles contemporary with their rebuilding but restored in 1907-08. Chancel rebuilt in 1863 (Scott?). Spire restored in 1889. Walls of rubble and pebble rubble originally plastered with Barnack and Ketton limestone dressings. Roofs of lead, slate and tile. North facing elevation. Chancel rebuilt in C19 of three buttressed bays with steeply pitched roof, has two, two-light windows with geometric tracery, and a late C15 two-light window with transome and four-centred head. Late C15 clerestorey with embattled parapet and low pitch roof to nave has four, three-light windows in four-centred arches and three gargoyles. North aisle, c.1400, has three, three-light windows with tracery in four- centred heads, an embattled parapet and angle buttresses at quoins and bays of two stages. North porch c.1400 has a two-centred outer arch of two continuous moulded orders with a square-label and spandrels carved with the wheat-ear. Above the arch is a small niche. Embattled parapets with remains of pinnacles and diagonal buttress. Inner north doorway reset C13 two-centred arch of two richly moulded orders resting on jambs with one detached, and two attached shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Late C14 west tower of three stages has a moulded plinth with an octagonal broach-spire rising from a moulded cornice. The buttresses set in from the angle rise to the full height of the tower, below the cornice is a band of quatre- foils. Belfrey windows of two transomed lights with a quatre- foil in each two-centred head. Three tiers of spire-lights, those of bottom and top tiers on the cardinal faces. Interior. Chancel, arch C13 two-centred of two chamfered orders, the inner order resting on semi-circular attached shafts with stiff-leaf capitals and moulded bases. Nave arcades of four bays with two-centred arches on columns of four semi-circular shafts with hollow mouldings between and moulded capitals and bases. The labels form a small ogee at the apex of each arch. Blocked doorway with four-centred arch to rood stair. Tower arch, two centred of two chamfered orders with attached semi-circular shafts and moulded capitals. Low side rebated window in chancel, restored C14 piscena in chancel, C14 piscena with ogee head in south aisle. Very fine early C15 and late C15 roofs to nave and aisles. Nave roof of four bays with moulded and carved braces forming two-centred arches below principal rafters, moulded with embattled collars, ridge and purlins also moulded. Intermediate principal rafters have a centred angel at their feet. At base of each wall-post is a smallcarved figure problably an aspostle. The roofs of both north and south aisles are similar, of four bays of moulded principal rafters with braces and wall-posts with carved figures of saints; each bay is sub- divided by intermediate rafters each with a large carved angel at its foot. C15 font has an octagonal bowl with panelled sides. In south aisle C13 stone coffin found under floor in 1915. Wall tablet on south aisle wall to Mary Ladds 1811. VCH (Hunts) p46-48. RCHM (Hunts) p72-75. Pevsner: Buildings of England, p237.

Listing NGR: TL1602871782

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926), 72-75
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936), 46-48
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 237

National Grid Reference: TL 16028 71782


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1165216 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 05:42:06.

End of official listing