This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1165624



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Uffington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 06-May-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 194612

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



9/227 Casewick Hall 6.5.52

G.V. I

Country house, now divided into 3 units, and attached wall with gateway. Medieval house remodelled substantially early Cl7 by Trollope family, altered late C17, refronted 1786-88 by William Legge of Stamford in Gothick style. Coursed and ashlar banded limestone rubble, squared limestone rubble, ashlar, ashlar quoins, dressings. Collyweston slate roofs with lead dressings, some hipped, some with stone coped gables. Originally a medieval hall block, with early Cl7 cross wing parlour block to the south and garden front of 1785 by William Legge. Ashlar, having raised stepped coped gables with large ridge and valley finials, to each end, 2 triple valley stacks, 2 double ridge stacks, a single wall stack, all with moulded cornices. 2 storey plus attics, 15 bay front arranged 2:2:2:3:2:2:2, the middle 3 bays being slightly advanced and gabled. The front has a plain plinth, moulded string course and over the centre 7 bays an embattled parapet with blank pointed niches to the merlons and lozenges to the embrasures. Central half glazed double doors with pointed Gothick overlight, flanked by single pointed Gothick sashes. These openings have moulded hoods on ashlar triple shafts. Above is a plain frieze and cornice. To either side are 6 windows. In the upper part of the centre bay are 3 further pointed sashes, the taller central window with an ogee hood and crockets and there are pinnacles to the flanking triple shafts. To either side are 6 windows. All windows have flush moulded ashlar surrounds and 6 paned sashes, the upper 3 panes having delicate pointed lights. In the paired end gables are 3 three light ovolo moulded mullioned windows with Gothick lights, having moulded hoods. The south front on the right hand side is early Cl7 of 4 bays with chamfered plinth, 2 cyma moulded string courses and embattled parapet. To the lower floors are 4 four light ovolo moulded mullioned and transomed windows. In the roof are 4 gabled through eaves dormers each having a 3 light mullioned window with continuous moulded hood. Beyond is a single storey 3 bay 1785 addition with moulded cornice and embattled parapet having 3 tall pointed sashes in reused moulded openings. To the north side is a wall with plain copings with a reset moulded Cl7 doorhead with cornice above which is a pierced strapwork shaped gablette, having side scrolls with obelisks, oval opening above which is a cartouche bearing "AK ER" "AD 1651". The doorway containsa C18 wrought iron gate with scrolled oval centre panel andrunning scrolled rails. Rear wing in banded and coursed limestone contains 2 two light Cl7 mullioned windows with cornices and 3 late Cl7 wooden cross mullioned leaded casements. This contained kitchen and brewhouse. Interior. A room in the eastern half of the Jacobean range contains unusual Cl7 panelling of long boards divided by moulded styles, apparently formerly in the butlers bedroom. The late C18 details include fine marble chimney piece in the dining room with neo-classical reliefs and one in the drawing room with a frieze of female figures, possibly by Edward Bingham of Peterborough. Doors, doorcases and friezes are in the Adam style. The library has cases in grained wood with gilt ornaments. Owned by Edward Heron in 1595, sold to William Trollope in 1621, in C19 the 7th Baronet was created Lord Kesteven. Sold and converted to 3 units in 1980s.

Listing NGR: TF0768309015

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 07683 09015


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1165624 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 06:35:35.

End of official listing