PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1165922

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1165922 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Mar-2019 at 17:21:04.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Epping Forest (District Authority)

Parish: Stapleford Abbotts

National Grid Reference: TQ 50094 96122

Details

TQ 59 NW STAPLEFORD ABBOTTS CHURCH LANE 3/9 Parish Church of 20.2.67 St. Mary the Virgin (formerly listed as Church of St Mary) II

Parish church, mainly rebuilt in C19, retaining C17 N chapel and interior features from C14 onwards. Nave and chancel of random stone with limestone dressings, W tower of stock brick with limestone dressings, N chapel of red brick, English bond, roofs of red clay tiles. N chapel 1638, W tower 1815, nave, chancel, vestry and S porch 1862 by T. Jekyll of Norwich. E window, 3 N windows, 2 S windows and W window have geometrical tracery. The N or Abdy chapel has a small E lobby, with segmental-headed outer and inner doorways, plastered; above the latter is a date 1638 in brickwork. In the N and W walls are original round-headed windows, the arches externally of brick, the remainder plastered. External eaves cornice, cement-rendered. Coved ceiling. Original panelled door in outer doorway of lobby. In the E window of the C19 vestry, early C14 glass, with figure of St. Edward the Confessor holding a ring. In chancel, reset piscina with pointed head and foiled drain, C14. Pulpit late C16, hexagonal, sides panelled with arched heads and moulded pendants, arabesque frieze to cornice. In W tower, wall monument to Francis Stonard, 1604, and Lucye (Higham) his wife, 1596, also to Henry Stonard his brother, 1555, marble and slate tablet and panels of a larger monument with shield of arms. 3 cartouches of arms, C17, restored. Wall monument to Sir John Abdy, 1758, with large putto, oval medallion, portrait, and broken pediment on brackets.

Listing NGR: TQ5009496122

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 118685

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing