Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAURENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1165955.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:31:20.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Lindsey (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 05063 82432



3/67 Church of St. Laurence 30.11.66 I

Parish church. C12, C14, C15, C16 and C19 restoration. Coursed limestone rubble with plain tiled and slate roofs. Western tower, nave, chancel, north chapel. The C12 tower has one stage with plinth, string sill course and hipped slate roof. The C15 west window surround has a hood mould and one label stop, with C20 glazing. Above is a C14 ogee headed light. In the north wall of the nave is a blocked C14 pointed doorway with hacked back hood mould. Further west are 2 C15 2 light windows with ogee headed lights and panel tracery, hood moulds and human head label stops. In the west wall of the north chapel is a C16 double chamfered 2 light window with mullion and hood mould. The chapel east window is c.1800 with C20 timber glazing and leaded lights having a flat arch with keystone. The C19 chancel west window has 2 lights with panel tracery. The chancel south wall has 2 C15 2 light windows with C19 recut tracery. The nave south wall has 2 further similar windows with ogee headed lights. The C15 south door has 2 rolled orders, separated by a quirk and a 4 centred arched head with hood mould and human head label stop. Interior. The C14 tower arch has octagonal responds and capitals and a double chamfered arch. Under the tower are 4 round headed blank arches to each side, to full height, thatto the nave having billet moulding. The C15 chancel arch has 2 chamfers, without capitals but having octagonal bases. The C19 nave roof is scissor braced. All fittings C19 except font which is C15 and octagonal with spurred base and in the upper panels heads, shields and foliage. Monuments. In the tower a C15 ledger slab with black lettered inscription reused as a floor stone. In the chancel and north chapel is an important collection of monuments to the St.Pol family. In the chancel, behind the altar, is a fine freestanding tomb chest with canopy of Sir Thomas St. Pol d.1588, and his wife. The sides of the tomb chest have acanthus pilasters, the panels between contain wreathed shields. The full length recumbent albaster effigies show the man in full plate armour holding sword and prayerbook, head on helm, feet on a cushion with flowers. His wife is in a long dress with cloak and close fitting hat, holding a bible. The inscription runs round the top edge of the chest. The canopy is supported on 6 pillars, those at the angles being circular and bulbous, the others in the form of obelisks decorated with fishscale paterae, with elaborate Ionic capitals with roses in the necking. The entablature has an egg and dart frieze. Above the heads of the columns are 5 female and 1 male weepers. At the centre of the canopy is a raised altar bearing shields and surmounted by the kneeling figure of the heir clad in armour. In front kneels a larger figure of a girl. The monument is all painted and gilded. On the north wall of the chapel is a further elaborate tomb to Sir George St.Pol d.1613 and his wife. A base supporting the reclining figures of the deceased with composite pillars supporting an entablature and armorial termination. In the base is a central semi-circular niche containing a carving of the deceased's daughter, flanked by niches containing mourning putti. Above on the lower step is a figure of Frances in full mourning dress with formal ruff and hat, reclining on a cushion holding a prayer book. On the upper step he reclines in plate armour with a sword. The figures are contained in a semi-circular headed recess with roses in the archivolt and on the back wall is an inscribed rectangular panel with scrolls and memento mori. The pillars to either side support a frieze and entablature from which rise flaming urns and at the angles, and at the centre is a raised achievement of arms flanked by scrolled shields and obelisks. In the north wall of the chapel is an alabaster wall plaque to Robert Lord Rich, Earl of Warwick, d.1619, depicting head and shoulder portrait sculpture of deceased full face, with a profile of his wife behind, set in a circular medallion. To either side are pelleted pilasters supporting an entablature with scrolled cartouche of arms and flanked by heraldic supporters. The whole is painted and gilded and beneath is a panel containing an inscribed poem. On the east wall of the chapel and in the south wall of the chancel are 2 inscribed brass wall plaques, the latter dated 1597 and contained in a stone surround. Also a black marble ledge slab with armorial panel to George Doughty d.1743.

Listing NGR: TF0506582432


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05658/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].