CHURCH OF SAINT LUKE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1166017
Date first listed:
01-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT LUKE, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT LUKE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1166017.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:49:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT LUKE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Holton Le Moor
National Grid Reference:
TF 08212 97820

Details

TF 09 NE HOLTON LE MOOR CHURCH LANE (south side) 5/9 Church of 1-11-66 Saint Luke

G.V. II

Parish Church, Cll, C13, 1854 restoration and rebuilding by George Place; 1926 alteration and addition by H.G. Gamble, unfinished; Coursed rubble ironstone, ashlar dressings, red brick, slate roofs with stone coped gables. Nave, south aisle and porch, south chapel, chancel, vestry, organ chamber. The south aisle is the original nave and has a gabled roof which terminates in a western gabled ashlar C19 bellcote with twin openings. The west end of the aisle has 2 stepped buttresses and 2 tall C19 lancets; in the return on the north side of the aisle is a carved C13 gravestone built into the wall. The west end of the nave is in brick and has 2 C20 lancets. The vestry is in ironstone and has a C20 lancet and a C20 Tudor style door opening. The vestry and organ chamber were obviously intended to be joined to form a north aisle but this has been left unfinished and the temporary walls are in brick, toothed out to take an ironstone extension. The north side of the nave has 2 three light C20 windows in perpendicular style. The organ chamber has a C20 lancet, a large opening, blocked by brick, and a C20 Tudor door opening. The east end is in brickwork, the flanking walls are in ironstone, again toothed out showing that the nave was intended to be extended. The east window is a C20 5 light in Perpendicular style. The east window of the south chapel is C19 3 light and the south side has a 2 light window, a door and a lancet, all in the Early English style. The south aisle has 2 C19 two light window and a single lancet. The C19 south porch leads to the Saxo Norman south door, possibly reset during the 1854 restoration; it is very low with plain imposts, slightly chamfered at their lower edge and has a semi circular arch with crudely cut tympanum. The interior; the 3 bay south arcade has C20 octagonal columns. The nave is entirely plain, and all fittings are C19 or C20. In the west end of the south aisle is a C13 capital inverted and set into the wall, used originally as a font. The hexagonal font is now a C20 reconstruction using some C12 fragments of a circular tub with cable moulding round the top. The south chapel walls are painted with stencil decoration and texts. The stained glass at the east end dates from 1893. In the vestry are 5 wall tablets to the Dixon family dating from late C18 to early C19.

Listing NGR: TF0821297820

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196490
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05656/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Sowray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].