CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1166154
Date first listed:
30-Oct-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1166154.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 02:39:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Kesteven (District Authority)
Parish:
Counthorpe and Creeton
National Grid Reference:
TF 01457 19880

Details

COUNTHORPE AND CREETON CHURCH LANE TF 0l NW (south side)

9/110 Church of St.Peter

30.10.68

G.V. I

Parish church. Late C12, early C13, late C13, C15, 1830 chancel shortened, 1853 rebuilding of nave. Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar dressings, Collyweston slate roof. Western tower, nave, south chapel, chancel. 3 stage late C13 tower, with 2 string courses, moulded eaves and corbel table, broach spire with outsized 2 light C13 gabled lucarnes in 2 storeys in the principal directions. Paired belfry lights with round shafts, floriate capitals and moulded hoods. In the west wall a lancet to ground stage and similar smaller light to upper floor. In the north west nave quoin is re-used C10 grave slab with interlace. In the north wall 2 C19 windows with paired lights and sexfoils. The C19 east window is of 3 cusped lights. The south chapel has entasised quoins and in the south wall is evidence for a narrow door of early character, suggesting it may have originated as a porticus. In the south wall is an early C13 window with plate tracery and 3 cusped lights and trefoils in moulded surround. In the west wall a lancet with moulded hood. The south door is recut with moulded hood and human head label stops. Further west is a 3 light C15 window with cusped heads to the lights and panel tracery. Built into the fabric are at least 5 pieces of C10 Anglo Saxon interlace decorated stone. Interior. C13 tower arch with chamfered reveals, decorated imposts, one with dogtooth, the other a fillet, and single chamfered arch. Above an off-centre blocked pointed doorway. In the south wall a chamfered archway into the chapel which contains a C13 lobed piscina. Single chamfered chancel arch has octagonal responds and developed waterleaf capitals. All fittings and roof are 1853 apart from C17 communion table and the C13 tub font on circular base with moulded octagonal top.

Listing NGR: TF0145919880

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
194084
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/00827/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David H Schofield. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].