CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1166156
Date first listed:
01-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1166156.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:32:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Owersby
National Grid Reference:
TF 06184 94737

Details

TF 09 SE, 8/44

OWERSBY, CHURCH LANE, North Owersby,

Church of St Martin

01-11-66

II Parish church; totally rebuilt 1762 using medieval masonry, with C19 alterations. Ironstone rubble, ashlar dressings, lead roof. Western tower, tall nave, apsidal chancel. The 2-stage plain tower which has a small square plan has two protruding base courses and a stone band which runs round the whole church at cill level. The cornice is coved beneath a flat lead roof. The 6-panelled south door in the tower has a segmental head and above is a hexagonally faced clock. The belfry openings have two lights under a semi-circular head, with timber louvres. The west side of the tower has one plain light, the north side is blank. The north side of the nave has a coved cornice and a lead roof. The fenestration consists of three C18 semi-circular headed lights with a plain circle over. The east window has a similar window and the south nave wall fenestration matches that of the north. Between the westernmost pair of windows is a sundial on a worn stone tablet. Interior: the tower porch has a C18 stair with turned balusters. In the nave the windows are surrounded with plain moulded plaster architraves. The double doors to the tower porch are in plain moulded architraves and the upper panels have open tracery in the Chinese style. The chancel arch is a wide semi-circle with a keystone and the apse behind has a domed ceiling with plain coved cornice. The ceiling has been removed from the nave to expose the C18 staggered butt purlin roof and large tie beams. The chancel has Minton floor tiles. Monuments: there is one brass memorial to Rev. Neilson d.1827. At the west end are two painted inscriptions to "John Richardson Churchwarden, Rob Sheardown, Painter, 1764". The fittings are all C20. The font is a C18 bowl on a bulbous pedestal.

Listing NGR: TF0618494737

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196524
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05656/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Trevor Sowray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].